+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When did you know you were ready to TTC?

Hi ladies,

I was just hoping to hear from you all about when you knew it was the 'right time' for you and your DH/DP to start on your TTC journey.

Was it a particular event that spurred you into action? Was it the fact that you both just knew it felt 'right'? Was it because you had finally reached a good place with your career/financial/life situation? Did family pressures come in to it at all? Or did it just happen by accident and you then made your life around it.

Were there times when you backtracked and doubted whether you were ready to TTC?

I guess I'm just interested as to what changed for you between not considering kids, and wanting to TTC. What 'flicked the switch' so to speak?
    Last edited by onlyjuststarting; 09-10-2012 at 18:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there!

I wish I could say there was a right time that my DP and I decided to start TTC but he keeps changing his mind and as of this afternoon, seems pretty set on stopping and not starting for quite some time

I feel like we are in a good situation to raise a child together but ultimately you have to agree on it together. It's something we have both seriously talked about since the beginning of this year as it seemed like alot of our close friends were TTC or pregnant so I guess that's what "flicked the switch" for us

DP and I both have solid jobs with a good and stable income and are on track to be building/owning our own house around the middle of 2013. I have never really doubted since our initial discussion that we were ready to TTC so this seemingly random decision from DP this afternoon has me in shock and I'm struggling to figure out how to handle it to be honest.

Anyway really I think you just have to talk it over with your DP/DH and realistically look at your careers/financial/living situation etc and really when the time is "right" I think you will both just know...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its funny you posted this when you did.... I was only thinking of posting something like this earlier today.

I guess for me it was a gradual thing, we got married in May last year. When we got back we got our gorgeous little fur baby Bentley. I have always wanted kids but it was the love & connection with him that made me decide that I was ready for a human baby.
    I have been talking to DH over the last 12 months & had decided to start trying after his overseas trip in Fed next year. Then after hearing about a friend who had been TTC for nearly a year & me being diagnosed with PCOS it hit him all of a sudden came home from from work and said lets do it.
    We officiall started TTC August 2012.... & thats our story

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so glad you posted this as I'm going through the 'querying' stage myself! I feel like and emotional switch just clicked (and Dh says the same for him), we've been married for over a year now and it just feels like I have this biological need to create a little human thats part dh and part me to share our life with. On the other hand the practical/mental/ thought half is going haywire!!! I recently quit working full time to become a mature aged student () so although we are financially ok we don't have wiggle room, we own our own home (with a mortgage of course) and DH has a good job but gosh am I insane to ttc while studying??? On the other hand it may be a long journey so do we want to wait as it might take that long (a year etc) anyway?

Sorry I know this isn't helpful, just wanted to say how great this thread is and let you know your not alone!!! The rational side tells me there is never a 'perfect' time to try and almost impossible to accurately plan, with only a very lucky few in the right emotional, financial, educational, relational and career place all at the same time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi!

For us it was kinda talked about, kinda accident, and kinda happened. A mixture of all of the above!

Firstly, i was 24 DF 26. He has other children from a prior R/ship. We had talked about the "when we have a baby.." but never in detail or with a timeframe. As things came on HUGE sales, as in my spare time, all icould think about was TTC, becomming a mum etc.... I would layby or buy them slowly. I have known all along i wanted kids, as a teen a couple of my friends had babies and i just wanted my own, and have ever since (I was about 17)

We had been living together for a while, i was working full time, but we had been offered an opportunity which was too good for us to refuse. My mum was buying a business, and wanted both of our help, we would board with them for a while, and there was room for a baby..

This came at a time that my MIL and DFs EX, who lived in the same town as us, were driving us CRAZY! not to mention the flats that we lived in, went from middle-class working people, very quiet and a nice neighborhood, to a very low income drug type area, not where i wanted to live! We came home from a weekend away to find someone had put Super glue in the lock, and around the handle of our front door so we couldnt get in! DF jumped fences and got a nasty eye injury, long story short it was the last straw...With all the hype of taking him to appointments, running to the hospital late at night etc etc...I forgot to take my BC pill....for 3 days.

When i remembered, we had a talk, i could go back on it, or stay off it and see what happened. We decided to let nature take its course.... We now have a happy healthy 18mnth old!

However, the decision to TTC #2 is ALOT more difficult than #1 IMO. we now have to consider DS, not just ourselves...and for the past 8 months I have been swinging between yes i want a bub soon, yes i want another bub NOW, NO, i dont want another, Yes, i want another but not for a while.

We were going to start TTC (id be due to O now i think) but have postponed it to early 2013. Hopefully im decided by then

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've always wanted kids. DH and I decided we would start trying when we got married. I went off the pill in march this year, 2 weeks before the wedding. We are in a good place, we have our own house, both have good jobs, and I'm currently studying as well. Now we just need to succeed and fall pregnant. If I'd known it would take this long, I'd have stopped the pill 6 months earlier

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan01 View Post
    I'm so glad you posted this as I'm going through the 'querying' stage myself! I feel like and emotional switch just clicked (and Dh says the same for him), we've been married for over a year now and it just feels like I have this biological need to create a little human thats part dh and part me to share our life with. On the other hand the practical/mental/ thought half is going haywire!!! I recently quit working full time to become a mature aged student () so although we are financially ok we don't have wiggle room, we own our own home (with a mortgage of course) and DH has a good job but gosh am I insane to ttc while studying??? On the other hand it may be a long journey so do we want to wait as it might take that long (a year etc) anyway?

Sorry I know this isn't helpful, just wanted to say how great this thread is and let you know your not alone!!! The rational side tells me there is never a 'perfect' time to try and almost impossible to accurately plan, with only a very lucky few in the right emotional, financial, educational, relational and career place all at the same time!
    Hi Jan01 - definitely understand the issue of being a student and having kids, although it does a little more flexibility depending on what course you are doing. But on the flipside, it does require some more discipline in regards to study!

It's nice to know that other people are going through the same process and I'm not just going crazy! So thank you everyone who has replied
    Last edited by onlyjuststarting; 10-10-2012 at 13:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel0205 View Post

However, the decision to TTC #2 is ALOT more difficult than #1 IMO. we now have to consider DS, not just ourselves...and for the past 8 months I have been swinging between yes i want a bub soon, yes i want another bub NOW, NO, i dont want another, Yes, i want another but not for a while.

Shadowangel - this is such a good point! Bringing a 2nd bub into the world is going to impact much more than you and DH lives - you sound like a great mum. Thank you for sharing your story!
    Last edited by onlyjuststarting; 10-10-2012 at 07:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have always wanted kids, but trying to figure out the timing was the biggest issue. DH and I are both in well paying stable jobs, mine offers great maternity leave options with the opportunity to go back to work (when I'm ready) in a part-time capacity and to dictate my work hours. I'm a shift worker at the moment so that is pretty enticing! No more night shifts

We own our own place and are about to buy an investment property. I guess we've been emotionally ready for awhile but wanted to make sure we were financially stable so we have no issues providing for our little one.

We've also both always wanted to start our family young. I guess everything has just fallen into place for us, and this was the next logical step in mine and DH's life. Just hope a BFP falls into place soon too