+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default should i start TT now?

How old was your bub when you started toilet training ? and
    How long did it take ?

I am in two minds about starting DD 20mths with the whole toilet training thing.
    1. - we have bub #2 due in a couple mths time, while i will be 100% dedicated to training her, once bubs is here i feel we will head straight towards regression simply because i wont have the time i once did.
    2. My mum has told me over and over there is no point in starting toilet training before two yrs old. Apparently they are not ready.

However - im sick of mcn's! im sick of washing, drying and folding. We also use disposables and im sick of giving the manufactures my money!
    DD hates getting her nappy changed, and i hate it too.
    She tells us when she's doing a poo
    She is fascinated with the toilet and wants to flush (i lift her to fluch after i have been)

We dont want to use a potty - we see it as just another step in the way of getting her on the toilet. We like the step and seat in one and im so close to just going out and getting one. Summer is almost here too!

I want to start TT but im worried i will run out of time before bub's #2 is here.
    Is it worth trying? Once i start i wont be going backwards with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I started Hayden at 22 months. One day I said to him, ok, big boy undies today, no more nappies! And he hasn't worn a nappy again since. There were lots and lots of accidents for the first few weeks, but we would just say OOPS poo/pee goes in the toilet, try to finish off whatever was left on the toilet then praise and reward. He caught on quick, and the accidents got less and less.

He was trained fairly quickly, but we still had accidents on and off up until about 28 months, so 6 months out of nappies, we still had the odd accident. Now he is 33 months (3 in December) and is completely 100% toilet trained. Never has an accident ever. Takes himself to the toilet, takes his own pants off, even wipes and flushes by himself. The only thing he can't do yet is put his pants back on by himself, but he's getting there

I think the key to toilet training is not confusing them by allowing nappies sometimes and not others. (of course pull ups at night for some are definitely neccessary, but I have been lucky with Hayden that he has been night dry from the start). Always make sure wees and poos go in the toilet every single time, even if there's barely any left to get in there, and to praise every single time, and not get frustrated

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Hunkamunka  (09-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh, and my daughter was 3 months old when we started. I probably couldn't have done the first month or so of it while she was newborn, but after that first month, it was just catching him having accidents once or twice a day or less, rather than a zillion times a day like it is in the first week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also wanted to ask about this -
    Ive heard a good way to start TT is to stay home for 2-3 weeks solid and go about normal routine. That does make sense but what happens to our activites like playgroup/library/swimming that we do weekly? Do you take them in undies to their activities and TT there too? Im unsure. I dont really want to have to skip her usual weekly activites because we are TT??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only made sure I'd be home for 3 days solid when I started! After that we just went on with life as normal. When we went out I would put a puppy piddle pad (haha) in his car seat just in case, and also if he was sitting in the shopping trolley or something. But we never had a pee accident whilst out, only poo accidents. Which were always contained in his undies until we could quickly get to a loo. I always took a handful of spare undies and a few spare pairs of pants every time we went out, but usually only need to change him once if at all.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Hunkamunka  (09-10-2012),SoThisIsLove  (01-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you'd rather wash several pairs of pants/shorts/undies and floors over MCN's then go for it...but be warned...poo in undies is the grossest thing ever.

The approach I had with all three of mine was that once they were ready they would do it and it would be easy. DD1 was nearly 3...did a wee on the toilet one morning, declared she was wearing undies now and we went out shopping that day, no accidents. Had 2 accidents that week, learnt to poo a few days later, then regressed with poo's for a little bit and then she was done. No bribes or rewards necessary.

DD2, of her own accord started pooing on the toilet at 16 months. Was in undies on her 2nd birthday, back to nappies for wee's for a bit, decided to be an everyday undies wearer at 2 years and 4 months. I don't really remember accidents but she was my kid who, up until she was 4, would deliberately wet herself for a few days straight when she wasn't happy with things in her world (eg. starting pre-school). no bribes or rewards necessary.
    DS he trained at 2 years and 9 months. Talked about the toilet for ages, was obsessed with flushing it, knew what to do in it, would tell us when he was going to the toilet and would sit on the toilet and go through the motions but do nothing. One day, we were swimming and he started weeing...so DH raced him outside (an indoor pool on private land) and took his swimmer nappy off and he weed in the garden. Cheers all round, he was totally proud of himself. Two days later, he did a wee on the toilet at home, declared that he didn't need nappies anymore but it was the end of the day so he didn't get to put his plan in to action. Next day, he put undies on...we did school drop off's etc. all in undies and he had no accidents. 3 days later he learnt to poo on the toilet and stopped asking for a nappy to poo in. No bribes or rewards necessary.

With DS especially I was so over nappies and could not wait to be done with them...7 years straight of nappies and 2 in nappies for some of that time and I was more than over it but I had tried to 'actively train' DD1 a couple of times and it was the pits!! It sucks!!! I don't know how parents put themselves through that nightmare! I have a friend who's DD1 is the same age as mine and she put her DD in undies at 18 months and pull ups were for if they went out and she had stickers and m&m's and smarties for bribery/rewards for encouragement. At the same time my DD1 toilet trained herself was the same time her DD1 stopped wetting her undies regularly. So much undue stress, pressue and washing if you ask me.

Also, if your DD does train now toddlers often regress when a new baby comes along so you could have things great and then be back to nappies when the baby comes along.

Really, the choice is yours. Some people swear by actively toilet training and if you are keen for the extra washing, the wet floors, the need to buy pull up's for when you're out etc. then knock yourself out

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wastingtime For This Useful Post:

Hunkamunka  (09-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Toilet training for me has never been stressful, the washing hasn't bothered me at all, and poo in undies is no worse than poo in an MCN I reckon Just tip it down the loo and rinse it out same as you do with an MCN.

I've never found it the slightest bit stressful or awkward and neither has Hayden. It's worked great for us, and at this point, when 60% of the mum's in his DIG are still struggling with toileting, and I don't ever have to think about it at all, I know I did the right thing, for us

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's cool. I never said it was. But for me I hated it so I didn't put the stress and pressure on myself because, for ME, it sucked balls. And poo in undies is gross to me because you have to pull them down the legs and 2 out of 3 of my kids haven't had solid poo's so then I've had to clean poo off their legs, feet and bottm, instead of just their bottom, and I found holding the top of a MCN and scraping poo off much easier than trying to turn undies inside out and getting it off.
    That's MY experience and what I found. I don't really give two hoots what approach the OP chooses to take hence my last paragraph in my first post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im still a little undecided. As bub's #2 is due dec, we still have 2 months of summer left to start TT. All her activities stop during school holidays so maybe that will be a better time to start TT. DH will be home for 6 weeks too. Im choosing to TT in summer because of the less clothing factor and she can be in the nuddie (no bottoms) without freezing....not that i know it makes any difference, it just sounds easier.
    Im not concerned about the accidents/cleaning wee/poo ... it's all part of it, how else do they learn than from their mistakes? Im so used to dealing with poo out side of the nappy as DD doesnt keep a nappy on 80% of the time anyways.
    Thanks for sharing your useful info ladies, appreciate it

Thanks
    Reviews
    We started tt dd1 at 14mths for poo (i find it easier than wee) and 16mths for wee. She was good at 18mths with the odd accident. The only avcidents we get now is when she cant work out how to get her psnts pff ie jeans.

Nights she does wear a nappy but 9/10 times its dry in the morning. She just wants it on.

To TT - we kept dd1 home for 10 days straight. Dh took time of as he is way more patient than i am.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Hunkamunka  (09-10-2012)