+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 8 weeks pregnancy internal ultrasound - no foetal heart beat detected

I had my dating scan today. My pregnancy was an assisted pregnancy so I know the insemination date and I should be 8 weeks 4 days. They did both external and internal ultrasound and could not detect a heart beat. The sonographer said that her dating tests put the pregnancy at just over 6 weeks rather than 8 weeks and that at 8 weeks she would have expected to see cardiac activity. I have had no bleeding. She took the results to the radiographer who told me that there is a gestational sac, yolk sac and foetal pole and that all other milestones of pregnancy look good so she wants to give it another 7-10 days to see how it goes and to come back for another scan next week. I want to have hope but with my only other pregnancy I could clearly see cardiac activity at 7 weeks on ultrasound. I am coping ok but not sure if I will cope well if I am in limbo for another week or so and then find out it is not a viable pregnancy. Has anyone had similar experience?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Travelling1972, first of all, hugs to you!! It is such a difficult situation when u don't know what's going on. I had something similar, where I should've been 8 weeks, however was only measuring around the 6 week mark with no hb. Unfortunately for me, it was a missed m/c, meaning that bub didn't develop as meant to but my body didn't recognize that bub had gone. I only had the sac & yolk tho, they couldn't find any feotal pole with mine, so thats positive they can see it on urs I've heard others on here with similar situation, where they have come back later (in a week or so time) and then there was a hb. I hope that a few with this experience can post on here for u.

Good luck, don't give up & I hope u get answers soon. You poor thing, it certainly is a tough time not knowing...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Rocky27. I went to the GP who did blood tests and confirmed that my HCG and progesterone levels were lower than expected but need to have repeat bloods tomorrow to see whether they are increasing or not. If they are, there might still be some hope that a repeat scan will find a hb. The not knowing is very difficult, and the worry about whether my body will suddenly realise ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    hang in there it happened to me too after all the tests and the stress of not knowing and my doctor ringing me on my week away to say while i'm in the city book in for a d&c becasue the test results aren;t showing anything. I perservered and alas i was pregnant and everything was great. Now i have a beautiful baby. what had happened instead of falling pregnant in the normal fortnight after my last period i had actually gone 4 weeks and then no period and then fell 2 weeks after that so instead of having a scan when our dates said we were 6 - 8 weeks we were actually only just pregnant like amke a couple of weeks - and trust me it had the doctors stumped