+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default problems with my chickens?

Sorry I know this isn't the appropriate section but this gets prob the most views!

I went to collect my eggs this morning and it looked as if my chickens eggs were exploded or they have attacked them?

Why would they do this :S We don't have a rooster, they are let out every day/from morning til th ey choose to goto there cage and the only thing that has changed is we have had two ducks fly into our backyard the past week I'll also add they seem to get on with ducks (not attacking each other etc)

Unless its lizards or something.

Please help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Chickens do sometimes eat their own eggs. Especially if one has cracked, they will try and eat it and then go for the rest. If you can, you need to collect the eggs as soon as they are laid. Or you can make a laying box where the egg rolls away to safety before the chickens can attack them.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrsdj1234 For This Useful Post:

loumia  (09-10-2012),monnie24  (09-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thank you I will get DP onto it today! I thought they may have been in distress or something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lizards are a possibility. I did have a big goanna stealing my eggs for a while. Someone suggested put chilli powder on the eggs and it'll stop lizards.

Thanks
    Reviews
    do they need shell grit? perhaps the shells are too thin. that or lizards - i know bobtails love them. maybe raise your nesting boxes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rats will also take/break eggs...usually they eat the insides and leave the broken shells behind...

Thanks
    Reviews
    A chicken may have stood on the egg and crushed it. We have 14 hens and for some reason they all use the same nesting box, so if there are already a few eggs in there sometimes 1 or 2 will get crushed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello I havent been on hub for couple days!

DP went in the cage later on that night and said there shells were soft So we got them some shell grit! And went down to the local beach and got some cuttle fish!

Thanks girls