+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Ergo baby Original or Performance

I am looking at getting an ergo for when baby is born in early Dec. I have an almost 2 year old as well, so figure it'll be good for everyday use while watching my toddler. I used a peanut shell sling with DS from 4 ish months and loved it but didn't like it for a newborn.

Because baby is arriving in summer, I'm worried the infant insert will be too hot (I'm in melb), and noticed the performance model carrier and insert are both lighter. But they are also much more expensive. Can anyone tell me if they think the Performance one is worth the extra, even though it won't be used for sporty activities, hiking or anything too active?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have the performance and love it - I can't compare it to the original though as I've never tried it. I got the performance because it's mean't to be much lighter and cooler for bub - we're in Bris so this was pretty important.

I think the perfomance also slightly higher than the original, which gives bub more support around their head/ neck and good for older bubs. I still back carry my 21 mo and the carrier comes right up to the base of his head so he has good support if he falls asleep. I once saw a lady with a 9ish mo in an original (back carry) and the back of the carrier only came up to the bottom of bubs shoulder blades. Bub was asleep and her head was kind of flopping around everywhere. Not sure if mum wasn't wearing the carrier properly though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have tried both and I prefer the original simply because of thicker padding on the shoulder straps. As bub gets heavier, the thinner padding means the straps dig into my shoulders. However, I know that others who are find with this.

The downside of the original is: in summer time, bub may get a bit hot.

Why doesn't Ergo make the carrier like Performance model with thicker shoulder straps? That will be perfect.

I also think that both models are the same size, eg, if worn properly, the top of the carrier should sit at bub's neck, not under arms.

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I love our performance! I carried DD (15kg) around Sydney on holidays the other month, and it's much easier than holding her! I've not had any issue with uncomfortable straps either. When she wanted to walk, 30 seconds of adjustments, and in jumped DS (8kg). I love the lighter material, and the higher back . I couldn't get it to work with the insert for DD or DS though.

rainbow road is online now look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Why don't you look at a Manduca? Same specs as the Ergo but has a built in newborn insert so it's cooler.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I think the performance would be better but I just don't think we can afford that but extra.

I just had a quick look at the Manduca website... Is it difficult to adjust sizes for different wearers? Also, the newborn insert makes baby's legs separated instead of just tucked up, does anyone know if the ergo does the same?

I'll check out the other brands mentioned too. Lots to look at, thanks so much ladies!!

Thanks
    Reviews

I'd definitely recommend looking beyond Ergos, especially for newborns.
    The Ergo newborn insert is a thick padded quilt that you wrap baby in, so not the coolest option for summer, and an extra expense. It is also quite fiddly to use, which can be hard if bub is already unsettled when you try putting them in.
    A Boba 3G is similar to an Ergo but has a higher back and converts to carry a newborn without an insert. My Boba is a really really soft drill cotton fabric, not quite as lightweight as the Ergo Performance, but still cool enough for Qld.
    Different structured carriers fit differently too, so what is comfortable for one person may not suit another. Personally, I love my Beco Gemini as the straps cross over at the back, which I find more comfortable than the reverse backpack style of the Ergo and Boba. The Gemini carries a newborn really easily without an insert, and even though it is made of padded fabric, is open at the sides so plenty of air flow.
    If you want to save a bit of $$ you can have a look for a second hand carrier on one of the baby wearing swap groups on Facebook. Safer than eBay as there are so many dodgy counterfeits with unsafe buckles and straps out there, the swap groups make it easy to check serial numbers to make sure you are buying a genuine carrier and not a dangerous knock off.
    I definitely recommend something that doesn't need an extra insert for newborn as so much easier to pop bub in.
    Happy babywearing

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi Geomic, thanks for your reply. I looked into a couple and decided on a bondolino carrier. It looks very comfy and soft and easy to use. Also, no need for a newborn insert. Unfortunately you can only buy online so I'm taking a bit of a chance.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to peasmum For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (05-11-2012)