+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    After seeing a UK family on tv last night with 15 kids, 1 on the way and no plans to stop, I can understand why they might want to cap the benefits.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Shout It Out  (11-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think limiting the amount of kids isn't the best way of dealing things. Like some of you said, it would be the kids who suffer. But who says they aren't suffering alreay? Its hard to regulate what people are spending their kids wellfare payments on. Is it really being spent on the kids? Or on mum and dads smokes or mums new shoes, etc.

So no, limiting wont be a solution, but myabe not giving all money cash in hand of the parents, but instead paying it directly to schools for fees and maybe food vouchers for food and a bit of cash for clothes and entertainemtn?

wdyt?

Thanks
    Reviews
    People who put their cigarette's before their children's needs will continue to do so, no matter how much or how little money they have.
    I have witnessed it first hand...from a mother of two.

As for the vouchers etc. to ensure where the money is spent...they tried this in Darwin not to long ago. It was such a disaster the government pulled the plug on it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wastingtime For This Useful Post:

Shout It Out  (09-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I don't think welfare should be used to fund the unemployed/lower income to have really large families. If you chose a lifestyle (really large family) you should pay for it. Not sure what the solution is though.
    I was going to say making contraception free, but isn't it already nearly free with a healthcare card?
    Completely agree! If people can't afford to have more children then why do they? To get more benefits I suspect then whinge they still don't have enough money.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Completely agree! If people can't afford to have more children then why do they? To get more benefits I suspect then whinge they still don't have enough money.
    That's right because ppl only have kids to get money from welfare. So only those who can afford them have them for the love of kids?
    That is ridiculous logic and a totally disgusting attitude to have.

Setting a limit on how many kids you can receive assistance for only stops the kids from getting what they need. A better solution is to involve families who live solely on welfare in programs to help then get off welfare. If personalized help was offered, rather than assistance in a blanket approach, most families that are in these situations would be helped.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrsdj1234 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (09-10-2012),Ellewood  (09-10-2012),LoveLivesHere  (09-10-2012),Shout It Out  (11-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsdj1234 View Post
    That's right because ppl only have kids to get money from welfare. So only those who can afford them have them for the love of kids?
    That is ridiculous logic and a totally disgusting attitude to have.

Setting a limit on how many kids you can receive assistance for only stops the kids from getting what they need. A better solution is to involve families who live solely on welfare in programs to help then get off welfare. If personalized help was offered, rather than assistance in a blanket approach, most families that are in these situations would be helped.
    You are incorrectly assuming everyone on welfare wants to get off it.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (09-10-2012),Maybelline  (10-10-2012),Shout It Out  (11-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually got asked to sign a petition against the Aussie goverment about putting up a new law that makes single mums get back to work when their child turns 8yo. Not sure why this applies to single mums only. Surely some would try to have another child before their youngest one turns 8. Note:I said some and not all of them.

Why do they not implement this in UK too? That would force people to get up and work. Thoug it should be applied to fathers as well as mothers.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Will start another thread..

14. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    You are incorrectly assuming everyone on welfare wants to get off it.
    No I'm not. By having a 'one size fits all' approach it actually makes it harder to get those who are happy to stay on welfare to support themselves.
    If it is made to be individualised then the options and support needed to get long term welfare recipients to support themselves are tailored to do so.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsdj1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shout It Out View Post
    I actually got asked to sign a petition against the Aussie goverment about putting up a new law that makes single mums get back to work when their child turns 8yo. Not sure why this applies to single mums only. Surely some would try to have another child before their youngest one turns 8. Note:I said some and not all of them.

Why do they not implement this in UK too? That would force people to get up and work. Thoug it should be applied to fathers as well as mothers.
    I don't think it does only apply to single mothers, my understanding it applies to any mother on centrelink payments.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post: