+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subscribing. I'm very keen to breastfeed but a first time mum so I need all the info I can get! You lovely ladies are a world of knowledge!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If like me you'd never even seen someone breast feed before try and get to an ABA meeting before bubs is born. I really wish I'd done this, getting help in the first few weeks after bubs was born was an impossibility for me. Get friends to bring you mags to read in those first weeks where you feel like you're breast feeding constantly. I love to read but my mental state wasn't up to more than trashy mags

if you can get through the first few weeks then it does become a magical experience. And don't believe the mums who tell you their baby slept through from3 weeks, very occasionally it's true but mostly it's bs regardless of whether you ff or bf

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    One tip that no one ever remembers to pass on is drink a large glass of water each time you nurse your baby. One large glass per breast. and at least one glass in between feedings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Trust your instincts and research everything. I have recently been given advice from medical professionals that I just knew (and had confirmed by my midwife and the aba) would completely jeopardize my breastfeeding relationship with my 2.5 week old daughter before it has barely begun. Best of luck x

strawberry swing is offline not so patiently waiting for the 1st of july!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    everyone has given you absolutely amazing advice

the one thing I read that saved my sanity whilst being told I was doing it wrong each time I saw a lc or midwife was that you can over learn breast feeding.

it's hard work, you both have to learn on the job. but it gets easier and easier

😀

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow thanks so much everyone! So much great advice!

Thank you again

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with all of the great advice you've received on this thread!

I think the best piece of advice I received was from my mum: most other! Each baby is a little individual who seems to approach breastfeeding in their own way. I had problems getting DD latched on while in the hospital. Every midwife who came on shift had a different set of directions telling me how to do it and none of them worked 100%. DD figured it out for herself for the most part within a couple of days.

Another tip: often people will tell you breastfeeding will hurt. It may do, but thinking it was normal I put up with a lot of pain while feeding before we found out that DD had tongue-tie. If feeding continues to be painful see your Child and Maternal Health Care Nurse to diagnose what the problem might be.

Cooling hydro-gel breast pads can help if your boobs get very sore. There are a few brands on the market.

Good luck!