+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breastfeeding tips

Hey All,

I had my antenatal classes on the weekend but unfortunatly couldnt stay for the end which is when they were going through breastfeeding. This is the main reason i wanted to do the antenatal classes!
    I plan on breastfeeding (if bub lets me). Is there any tips or anything i need to know?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ah yes, there's lots you need to know.
    Education is one of the most vital parts of a successful breastfeeding relationship.
    I suggest you either book in to another bf class, or if that's not possible, sign up to the ABA and get their awesome book "Breastfeeding Naturally".

Edit- come to think of it I really benefited from watching the bf video that they showed on attachment, so I recommend you get your hands on something like this too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Read some of the articles on the ABA website.

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/index.html

If you can do a course through the ABA, do it! so beneficial.

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Some may disagree with me on this but I have successfully breastfed two children with lots of inital problems.

1. Insist on staying in hospital until your milk comes in properly and you are confident that your baby is feeding.
    2. Nurses will say "if attachment is correct it shouldn't hurt" I disagree! No one is used to another little person sucking vigorously on your nipple every 2hours for 40 minutes. Some discomfprt is to be expected.
    3. Breast feeding is a skill that you and your baby may take up to 6 weeks or longer to perfect. This is normal. Not every baby feeds fantastically immediately.
    4. Giving formula alongside breastfeeding will diminish your supply. If you have a choice. Do not do it.
    5. Offer a feed every two hours or whenever your baby cries.
    6. A babies stomach is only as big as a large marble. Which is why they need frequent feeds.
    7. You can feed through grazed, cracked chomped nipples. It is hard but doable. Nipple shields and lanisoh can help greatly.
    8. Have lots of skin to skin contact, get around home topless if you can to give your nipples lots of air.
    9. Call ABA anytime day and night 1800mum2mum. Trained counsellors can help you through any situation.
    10. prior to the birth of your baby, visit the local child heath clinic and identify who the lactation consultant is. She will be the best nurse for advice.
    11. If cash is not a big issue for you hire a private lactation consultant to come to your house a couple of days after your discharge and she can check on your progress.

12. Ask lots of questions in hospital. Ring that damn buzzer EVERY time you need help. The nursing staff are there to assist you. You are not an inconvience to them.

I have friends who have never experienced any pain breastfeeding and you may be the same. I just want you to know that pain doesn't mean the end of your BF journey,

Have I scared you enough

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

AmberDawnWhite  (08-10-2012),Busy-Bee  (08-10-2012),duckduckgoose  (08-10-2012),tubster  (08-10-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    There is a massive range of 'normal' for breastfeeding and breastfeeding babies. In the absence of medical conditions, bm will always be superior to ff for bubs but it can be excruciatingly difficult to establish. For some women it's simply a case of putting baby to boob, for others it's months of torture. I think it's important to set your expectations to assume that you will encounter some problems but there are ways and means around virtually all bf issues. BF babies can feed a LOT. My DD fed around the clock for the first 3 to 4 months of her life. I believe on average most newborns will feed about 12 hours a day so stock up on dvds.

If you have any questions, queries, issues, concerns or just want to talk about your experience, regardless of how good or bad it's going it's great to just post. There are lots of women on here who can offer suggestions and act as your cheer squad. It can be a very emotional time too. I struggled to bf my DS and if anyone asked how it was going I would burst into tears (dam hormones!!).

There are also BF classes run by the ABA or you can join your local ABA and go to their meetings. It's a great place to meet other mothers, get bf support and just get out of the house! No on cares if you're all messy with bf puke on your shoulders.

Best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    I believe on average most newborns will feed about 12 hours a day so stock up on dvds.
    This! I had all these visions of staring lovingly at my daughter while she fed, slowing stroking her head...please. That's lovely for about half an hour a day but I would've gone mad with boredom. Also if I hadn't of put something on to watch I would've fallen asleep because for the first month she didn't sleep for more than 2 hours straight. I went through all 8 seasons of Grey's Anatomy in that month.

Research, research, research. Read and watch everything. Read about things that can go wrong and how to resolve them. Be patient! Things do get better. Weeks 2-4 for me were pretty seriously bad but now 8 weeks in it's a breeze. I remember drying off after a shower, leaning forward and being so careful not to brush my nipples with the towel thinking the next two years were going to be awful! But it's a total distant memory now and feeding is SO easy.

My top tips:

- Patience and perseverance
    - Get some good, comfy feeding bras before bubs arrives. I wish I had done this! I had some cupped nursing bras but the cups were way too much on my poor nipples but it hurt to let them hang free. Also they were fiddly and the cup would be in the way for bubs. Finally I ordered some stretchy crop top style feeding bras from nursingangel.com.au and it totally changed my feeding experience!
    - Cloth breast pads are a lot more comfortable than disposable (for me anyway)
    - Get a pop-top water bottle that you can open with your mouth. I sent DP out to get one as soon as we got home from hospital as feeding makes me sooo thirsty but I couldn't open my regular bottle with one hand!
    - Relating to the above point, think of snacks/things to do that you can do with one hand. I didn't take into account that I would only have use of one hand!

They might seem silly but they're little things that would've made the starting point a lot easier had I thought about them. Good luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

threechooks  (08-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I agree, buy some lansinoh cream. It is amazing. Also, I don't think breast feeding classes are a must. Somebody can tell you something a hundred times in theory and in practice it will be different. I think the classes can also put huge expectations on new mums and when things don't go textbook it can create anxiety and amplify the situation. I did not have them with my first and I successfully breasted her until she was 2 years old.
    good luck and I am sure that you and your baby will work it out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Breastfeeding is different For everyone and some find it easy but most women don't. Its very hard at times and can take months to perfect first time round. Always remember ur doing the best you can and don't beat urself up.

I had lots of trouble breast feeding i have inverted nipples so needed a nipplette to draw the nipple out and then nipple sheilds so DS could actually attach. After about 6 weeks i was able to finally feed without either and bf actually became enjoyable.

The midwives at the hospital were great but i was so relieved to get home and trial and error things to find out what worked for us. They all have different methods and ideas. Take their advice on board but u don't have to do what they say. It might not be right for u. One told me feed of 1 breast per feed the other told me feed off both every feeds. Another said demand feeding was the best another said every 2 hours. Was so confusing for a first time mum.

In the first two days i was so dehydrated from the birth DS had to have a few formula feeds. This didn't hurt him at all and him getting fed was the most important thing. I did have to insist it though after nearly 4 hours of him trying to feed, him screaming and us both getting very upset. They kept trying to reattach him or draw milk out with syringes. i was getting so worked up. Giving him
    Formula allowed us both to get some very much needed sleep and we tried again next feed.

After a few days i was able to solely bf and it was great. At first i gave 1 expressed bottle a day well DH gave it to him to help them bond. Dh got busy and i was giving him the bottle. After a while i didn't see the point of the bottle so just breastfed. One week of sole bfing and he then refused a bottle all together. At 5 months i sadly had to cold turkey him off the boob so he could would take a bottle as i couldn't be the only one able to feed him anymore. For number 2 i am going to give 1 bottle a day to make sure they can take one if needed.

I like the ABA but at times found them rather black and white. U need to do what u need to for u and ur bub. Trust ur instincts

Lack of sleep and stress can limit ur supply. So rest up when u can.

If u really want to BF don't give up, its hard, it hurts like crazy but in the end it gets easier and is definitely worth all the hard work!

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Greenmama thanks for that link, I've been trying to find a nursing sleep bra!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No worries Sarelou, they have changed my life!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

Sarelou  (08-10-2012)