+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default *sort of spin off* Does your large family ever get nice comments from stranger?

A spin off from the large family shopping thread...
    I have 5 kids aged from 6 down to 18 months and I regularly go out with all of them. I get my fair share of the usual 'don't you know how it happens?' 'Dont you have a tv?' 'I hope you aren't having any more' (they are going to die when they find out I've got two more on the way 😆).

But I often get nice comments and they melt my heart 'your kids are all so gorgeous' 'they are so well behaved' 'you are so blessed to have a big family'.

Do you others get nice comments too? Or are they mostly always negative?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Yes I do.
    Most comments are from strangers and are negative. People that see us more regularly like the local checkout chick are normally nice and people we know are a mixture but mostly nice.
    My kids are begging me to have another bub preferably a girl called Isabella

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (20-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by lolly137; 17-09-2015 at 19:25.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I do!

The other week we were at Currumbin, and I said to the boys "okay, we're here, it's big, choose a brother" and they quickly partnered up.

A lady who was behind us came up and said "Do you have five sons? I just noticed you said 'Choose a brother'. I just wanted to tell you they are gorgeous and it's so nice to see kids looking out for each other."

And in a work reference to another department my ex-boss stated "Gretel's children are her greatest reference, they are polite, considerate and always enthusiastic"

While I get a lot of the 'you must be mad' comments or 'you're one brave woman' I just reply: "They are awesome. If I can raise 5 more men in this world who are like their Dad, then that's five more honourable men in this world."

I think my kids are the tops. They drive me absolutely nuts because... well they are kids and go through all the stuff kids go through, and life is crazy at times. But they are so freaking spectacular I'm blessed to be the one given the responsibility of giving their souls wings towards their own journeys. (Doesn't mean I don't want to clip those wings sometimes!)

But more often than not we get positive comments. (More likely to be positive when I' with DH actually..... hmmm... food for though)

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (19-09-2013),Arusaamatus  (17-10-2012),Boobycino  (20-09-2013),jacobsmamma  (08-10-2012),lolly137  (08-10-2012),LotusMum  (05-08-2013),NewMrs  (08-07-2013),oozzle  (05-08-2013),thesmallestmeasure  (05-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I love big families and am not so secretly jealous that I will never have one

Lovely families like all of yours will never get anything but compliments from the likes of me!

I mean... sadly it is a fact, that there are families out there who do continue to have children when they probably shouldn't... and shock horror some of them even do it for the family assistance they will receive (). But I believe those families are actually few and far between, and more often than not large families are headed by two very patient, loving and controlled parents who are wise with their money and know how to budget and organise their time.

It annoys me big time how so many members of the public just assume that people with a large family have had a lot of accidents, or are after the family assistance, or don't have a tv It makes me so mad I can't imgaine how mad it makes all of you.

I think you're all super women and have nothing but praise for all of you. Especailly you Op, my new friend in my May group Can't wait to share your journey for bubs number 6 & 7!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Haha thanks Caz! Still sh*tting myself but hoping bubbas are doing ok. I'm sorry that you won't be able to fulfill your dreams of a big family . I assume its dh putting the brakes on more kids after this?

It's so nice to hear that you all get positive comments as well as the negative ones. It really does make my day when it happens to me.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    My kids are begging me to have another bub preferably a girl called Isabella
    Hehe, when I saw you had entered the Zumba comp my first thought was 'Look out, she's going to lose weight and get pregnant'. (I don't mean that in a mean way, I just remember you saying that for you a pregnancy normally follows a weight loss).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been getting the "you've got your hands full" comments since I had my 2nd bub, and they've not really stopped since! But i've had some wonderful comments from strangers, things like "they're all so wonderfully behaved" or "what beautiful children you have" I've not had anything too negative thankfully, only people now saying that because i've had a boy after 2 girls that I must be finished. Nope sorry

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default *sort of spin off* Does your large family ever get nice comments from stranger?

We have no kids yet but we want at least 4. We already have had negative comments on that when we have told people. We just don't tell people anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i love a big family full of kids. If i see parents with lots of kids i think they're really lucky, and that they wanted a big family. People who give negative comments are just plain rude. I grew up in the 80s with 3 brothers and back then 4 kids was the absolute norm.

We always wanted 4 but unfortunately that will never happen, we'll be lucky to have one. I think big families are great i knew lots of families growing up that had 5 or 6 kids and while they never had a lot of money, they had lots of fun.