+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes they shouldn't leave the house ever .....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    Yes they shouldn't leave the house ever .....
    Not sure if this was directed at me for my previous comment or the post in general?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Post in general ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Winetime it has always baffled me as to why whole families (regardless of the amount of children) go grocery shopping all together. I understand that sometimes you're just out and you call in on your way home and do a full shop or whatever but I know people who plan the grocery shopping as a family outing every single week and I don't understand why!! It's not fun!! Leave the kids with one parent and get the other parent to go on their own!!
    Oh amd I'm not talking about couples with newborns either where grocery shopping can be daunting...but I do wish they wouldn't take their pram as well as have the trolley!
    Last edited by Wastingtime; 09-10-2012 at 11:54.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wastingtime For This Useful Post:

OJandMe  (09-10-2012),River Song  (09-10-2012),WineTime  (09-10-2012)

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I agree WastingTime.

If I can avoid taking all the kids to the supermarket. I do.

Lol I've even got it rigged up so that I've got DH convinced that taking 1 or 2 on a Saturday morning to do the groceries and have a play in the park, library trip, milkshake is 'Dad time"... So he takes 1 or 2... and I kick back at home and have a cuppa.

Otherwise I do it when they are all at school or day-care, or DH or I pop in after we've been to the gym/yoga in the evenings.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

Wastingtime  (09-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wastingtime View Post
    I think this thread is ridiculous. Nowhere did it say that large families shouldn't go out incase their children misbehave.
    The mum in question was threatening to bash her children. 1 kid or 5 kids or 12 kids if you that stressed that you are at such breaking point that you are threatening to bash your kids because of their behaviour take a minute and breath.

I have been at complete breaking point with my kids when out and known I would say something I would regret so I said nothing until I could control my emotions better.
    Seriously, this was not someone having a dig at a large family with misbehaving children...this was someone expressing concern about a mother threatening to bash her children.
    If you threaten to bash your child/ren when they are misbehaving because you can't cope then yes, seek help. Don't let your child live in fear of you because you are struggling.
    I agree with you that the orginal thread wasn't about bias toward large families, HOWEVER, parents of large families are sick and tired of people singling them out for being unable to control unruly children BECAUSE of the number of children that they have. It is simply not true. As many have stated, you can be a parent of one, and your child have a meltdown, or a parent of many and the same thing happen. Some people seem to be quick to jump to the "you asked for it because you have so many" conclusion and it gets a bit boring hearing the same stupid argument.

I saw a mother with her 5 children out the other night at a restaurant and the children behaved magnificently. There wasn't a meltdown amongst them - aged from about 12 down to 4. My guess though, is that if one of the kids had been difficult, there would have been many who quickly decided it was because she had too many children. For parents of larger families, it gets really annoying to be judged that way. That's all I was trying to say.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clarabelle For This Useful Post:

mrsdj1234  (09-10-2012),OJandMe  (09-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and as far as the all shopping together thing goes, I too will always avoid shopping with them if at all possible. Most of the time I do. It isn't fun, but sometimes it's necessary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarabelle View Post
    I agree with you that the orginal thread wasn't about bias toward large families, HOWEVER, parents of large families are sick and tired of people singling them out for being unable to control unruly children BECAUSE of the number of children that they have. It is simply not true. As many have stated, you can be a parent of one, and your child have a meltdown, or a parent of many and the same thing happen. Some people seem to be quick to jump to the "you asked for it because you have so many" conclusion and it gets a bit boring hearing the same stupid argument.

And had the question not been put forward as a spin off from the original thread where what the OP claimed was said wasn't said at all my response would have been very different.

I take no issues with large families getting upset about being criticised by the general public due to the amount of children they have. I do think it's pointless to get annoyed about things that simply weren't said though.

And you know what, people of all kinds of family dynamics are judged by the public, it's not exclusive to large families.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, but I'm the mother of a largish family, and am pointing out these particular criticisms that are levelled at us as a whole are inaccurate. Perhaps someone will think before they automatically judge because of what they've read here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We sometimes make grocery shopping an outing. You know why? Cause everything else is so damn expensive.
    Family passes are for 2 adults and 2 kids. A trip to most 'fun' places sets our family of 6 back $100+.
    Grocery shopping can be a fun outing for a large family, kids included.
    And in my experience it is the single ppl umming and ahhing over what they are going to buy for themselves who block aisles with trolleys and ignore polite requests to move them.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrsdj1234 For This Useful Post:

Clarabelle  (09-10-2012),LoveLivesHere  (09-10-2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast