+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mrstuilawa View Post
    Can I ask did any of you ladies swear during childbirth?? I'll be the first to own up to having a filthy mouth and I can't see me going through labour without swearing lol
    I never did! I swear quite a bit IRL, but in labour I either screamed, groaned or said it hurts repeatedly.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

mrstuilawa  (07-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just have to make sure that this post was directed at old fashioned midwives who scold for screaming. I think midwives really do an awesome job under pressure and are amazing for it. Just incase any midwife sees this , it's just the matronly old fashioned ones that talk to you like a naughty kid .

4. The Following User Says Thank You to babynomad For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (07-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Each time i would make the slightest noisr my ob and then my mother would start nagging at me, i was 10a cm dilated and felt like punching his face in every time he roused on me for making noise

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    That's awful that you were discouraged from vocalising.

During my hospital birth, I was silent during contractions as I felt terrified of the whole thing, and I had an epidural well before pushing so wasn't in pain to scream. The hospital midwife actually encouraged me to vocalise.

However, during my recent birth at home, I screamed for almost an hour through transition to the start of pushing. I felt completely safe to express myself. Although when I started feeling a stinging and asked my midwife whether I should push or how long it would be to the end, she gently suggested that it might help me to focus my energy on the pushing, which did seem to help to bring my focus back and it was suddenly over very quickly.

Re swearing, I have a filthy mouth, but didn't utter an obscenity in either labour. During my screaming labour, it was mostly screaming or gutteral noises with the occasional "no, no".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Reading all these posts has been very interesting for me as during labour I never made a sound. I think I grunted a little while I was pushing but apart from that I was quiet as a mouse.
    My cousin is a midwife and I asked her about ladies screaming during labour and she said its very common. She said its more unusual to have a quiet labour.

So keep up the screaming ladies if thats what you need to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was a screamer too. My first labour I was young, naive and it was fast and furious. I screamed the ward down, the midwives did tell me to stop screaming and concentrate more on the labour process.
    Second labour was fast as well, I was actually in the observation room of the maternity ward. I hardly made a sound compared to the first birth, but every sound I made the midwife told me I'm scaring the patients. I told her to bad they have had their babies. Then she said some of them weren't as lucky as me and have quick births, I was like oh well they are going to be in labour soon and know what it is all about lol.
    I think screaming is normal and helpful

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's weird what we do isn't it. I cry also , mainly in that transition stage. ....this time I pooped as well!! I was a bit mortified to say the least but the midwife ( scolder) was not bothered at all and I appologised profusely in between contractions for pushing ... Shaking my head and sweating , then along comes a massive contraction to push out baby and my mouth is wide open and I'm screaming like I being chased by Freddie Cruger and she is more irritated by that than the poop she has just scooped off the table !! Ha ha ha. !
    Sorry , TMI !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Great post!!

I was silent until 10cms then silent when pushing, DS was vac assist, I remember yelling "F#####CK when they got his head out.
    Probably swore silently a bit on the way to hospital as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i never got to the screaming point of labour...think 18hrs awake and waters break, then 34hr labour.. I was too frekaing tired. I fell asleep sucking on the gas inbetween 1-2min contractions so had an epi and in the end emergency c-sect.

However, at the ripe young age of 17 i accompanied my bestie as support, i must admit, hearing a lady screaming from the other END of the labour ward...pretty good contraceptive for a teenage girl! haha
    I was also in emergency at 29wks with suspected pre-eclampsia (all was fine) and just 2 CURTAIN cubicles away, a lady was giving birth! She got there too late to take her to maternity...She screamed, swore, yelled, screeched..and every noise possibly known to man...it really freaked me out! haha, but i heard the cry of her NB and it made my heart melt...but they were wondering why my BP kept climbing!! Umm think about it! lol

Good on you OP for doing whatever got your bubbas here the best way u could.

Thanks
    Reviews
    omg this thread is freaking me out! lol. I will be trying for a vbac2 and i'm imagining all sorts of scenarios. lol.