+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default TTC, family risk factors for autism:scared: help

Its a double post, not sure where to put it. Been trying to conceive #1 but DP and I both keep freaking out, as his brother has severe autism, and his nephew (from another brother) is also on the spectrum.

I'm madly researching prevention, genetics, gut flora, GAPS diet, anything to allay our fears, on top of my own issues (age, endo, ivf). Stressful! 😣 I also have gut issues myself (candida, food intolerances) so with his genetic trigger, n my s#t flora, I'm seriously panicked and about to give up. Was thinking of sperm donor also but not sure how much this would change things.

Just wondering if anyone else has been in the same boat. I know it's a scary topic, appreciate anyone's response thank you. ξŒ…ξ€’

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try not to stress. My two brothers have autism, one really bad so that he doesnt even talk...and I have two DDs who seem fine, eldest is 3. But just do your research...look into whether you'll vaccinate too. I wont say too much because I dont want to get shot for saying that! But look into it. Something to consider.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Smurfberrylizard For This Useful Post:

IBelieve  (07-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey there,

You = Me. I'm in the same boat, only its my side where the autistic trait lays...

I didn't know this until my DS was diagnosed with autism. Then, it opened a can of worms. I found that 3 cousins (whom I have nothing to do with) have autism, and after doing research, I realised there are another 3 who I believe have asbergers, but all in their 40's and undiagnosed. I guess when they were kids it was uncommon, or rather, people just were not familiar with it.

I don't know what you could try, as I have recently been down the same path before trying for bub #2. I have been told I have a 75% chance of conceiving another child with autism.

I try to weigh up the pro's and con's. On one side, my DS is the most beautiful, sweet, smart and funny little boy I have ever known. I love him so much, and he seriously has changed me. I used to fly off the handle very easy, and had a very angry and mean temper. He has taught me to be soft, and understanding. On the other hand, with his verbal communication very limited (physical and his gestures are clearly understood) it has been a very frustrating and bumpy ride, and i wonder if I could do it all again, or if I could cope if the next child was a classic or "more autistic"

I went and saw someone from MIVF (as DS is an IVF bub) to have genetic testing before the embryo is transferred. I have not had it done, but they advised me I would need to have a blood test and DS to determine what strain holds the autistic trait, so then they could remove it if they find it in an embryo. Its not 100% guaranteed, but its worth a shot. Speak to your FS first if you have one and go from there.... Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mysweetboy For This Useful Post:

IBelieve  (22-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks MYSWEETBOY... Im sorry you've been through so many ICSI cycles... I didnt know they could test for it at that stage, so thats good to know.... Ive been seeing a nutritionist who has put me on the GAPS diet (often used in autism children) which apparently does something toward prevening it too... not sure on the details but it was about the mothers gut flora passing onto the baby.. anyway I'll give anything a shot x best of luck to you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep I recommend reading the book Gut And Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) which is the basis of the diet you are now on. The library should have it. Taking probiotics is a good idea. And yes, read into & limit environmental toxins as much as possible.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

IBelieve  (22-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh thanks BornToBe, I'm glad someone else has heard of the GAPS diet. I have bought and read the book and whilst it makes sense and is going to be a big change I know it'll be worth it to have a healthy baby.. The info is way ahead of the medical profession I think!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to IBelieve For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (22-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have the risk factors of having been diagnosed with leaky gut syndrome myself, so will be following the diet as much as possible - it is HARD to stick to! - and taking probiotics this pregnancy. Have you looked into Cod Liver Oil as a supplement? I found it valuable in helping my gut to heal, now wouldn't be without it. My partner also has a relative with a genetic disorder. It's stressful, isn't it. That said, I knew nothing of GAPS last preg, had an ok/not great diet and my daughter appears just fine so far. Chances are our kiddies will be a-ok.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

IBelieve  (22-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I have Leaky Gut too! Which explained all my food intolerances / ill health but had no idea on the autism link til just recently ( saw nutritionist saturday).. So I'm just getting my ahead around what to eliminate and all the bone stock etc.. Need another week or so to start ..

Wasn't sure about the supplements but like you the nutritionist said the cod liver and probiotic are a must .. What brands do u use ? The GAPS ones?

So glad your dd is ok🌻 It must feel good to be doing the best you can by your next one xx

Def will look into cod liver .. Gut flora so underrated!