+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default when did you put food before milk feeds?

DD is nearly 10 months and I think it was around now or before that I started the boys with food before bottles.

I recently weaned DD from bf and she is not very interested in bottles, never has been. She will only have around 500-700ml per day I think in total.

So at what age did you start giving the meals first? Did you give any milk first like the first one of the day, or straight up for breakfast?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I go buy the food before 1 is just for fun motto even now I only give dinner at 5 other than that it's boob than food.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Little_P  (07-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I schedule bf feeds after 1 rather than demand as before. So solids are offered more from then on.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Little_P  (07-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, I agree with the others - BF before food until after 1 year of age They need that more for nutrients etc.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 2made3 For This Useful Post:

Little_P  (07-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think about the 9/10 month mark DD really started to get into food, before that it was a bit hit and miss. So it was about that age that we started doing meals and offering bottles after. We then quickly dropped her morning bottle (she has 100ml formula on her cereal) and then her early afternoon bottle went about a month or so ago.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Little_P  (07-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was trying to follow the food before one is for fun idea but DS started refusing certain bottles at around 10/11 months he would just smack the bottles away and crack it. So he would have breakfast, bottle mid morning, lunch, bottle mid arvo, dinner then a bigger bottle for bed and he was satisfied. So it was a bit different for us because we didnt really have a choice, he told us when he was ready by refusing and we were happy with his diet to take his lead. I would say that if your bubba is happy then just keep going how you are and eventually you can either decide to offer food first or bottle first....or she might even lead you

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

Little_P  (07-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh and I should mention shortly after that he stopped wanting his morning bottle as well so we replaced that with a snack. He just always preferred his solids and he loves his food. Now at 13 months he has all meals and snacks with a bottle just before bed and sometimes a bottle just before his nap in the arvo. He just kinda led himself into a new routine

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've had problems with DD drinking enough milk at times, so I've always split her meals and bottles up. Bottle when wakes, breakfast around an hour later, bottle mid morning, about half an hour later a snack, lunch, bottle mid afternoon, dinner around five, bottle around six before bed.
    She only drinks around 600mls most days, 400 on a difficult one (she's 8mo). Our GP isn't too concerned about the amount of milk as she eats a lot, is offered juice and water through the day and yoghurt is her absolute favourite.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TnA For This Useful Post:

Little_P  (07-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Lily View Post
    I was trying to follow the food before one is for fun idea but DS started refusing certain bottles at around 10/11 months he would just smack the bottles away and crack it. So he would have breakfast, bottle mid morning, lunch, bottle mid arvo, dinner then a bigger bottle for bed and he was satisfied. So it was a bit different for us because we didnt really have a choice, he told us when he was ready by refusing and we were happy with his diet to take his lead. I would say that if your bubba is happy then just keep going how you are and eventually you can either decide to offer food first or bottle first....or she might even lead you
    This is what DD is doing. She has had no more than 200ml today and it's dinner time! She just bats it away so I give up. She is a reasonably good eater too. We do BLW so she doesn't eat as much maybe as if I spooned it in but she does quite well.

Do you offer extra water through the day like TnA?

What about wet nappies? The whole reason I stopped BF was she wasn't having the 'required' wet nappies. She is no better with this new arrangement!! I am so cut. Do they not worry about nappies TnA? I just assumed she would eventually take bottles but its been nearly 3 weeks so I guess this is my new baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Im not too sure on BLW as I give him stuff to eat but spoon it in as well but I would say that she knows when shes too full and would probably keep eating if she was still hungry. He now has a sippy cup of water during the day (Nuby) so he drinks a lot of water as well. His nappies havent changed, well I havent noticed a change but once we stopped stressing about how many bottles he was taking he actually became less frustrated during the day. I felt like it annoyed him when we were trying to give him bottles and he would get angry and throw them or shove my hand away. Its hard isnt it?! Just when you think its all going good they throw another spanner in the works and everything changes again, just keeps us on our toes! I just found that DS preferred food and he was thriving, his weight was great and he was just much happier. Good luck, I know its hard when bubba wants to change everything but trust your mummy instincts