+ Reply to Thread
    YMo7 is offline 37 week ultrasound of our baby girl
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default help with drugs, please?

why do do doctors prescribe risperdal and seroquel together?

my son has not had a dx yet, but they are working on it... they want to admit him to westmead psych unit.

what kind of mental illness is related to these drugs used in conjunction with each other?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    These are anti-psychotics. They could be used to treat various things such as psychosis, drug induced psychosis and schizophrenia.

Have you asked the dr why?

YMo7 is offline 37 week ultrasound of our baby girl
    Thanks
    Reviews
    yep - but they wont give us a diagnosis yet. they say its not autism or anything on the spectrum or adhd. its not odd.

they want to "rule out" schitzophrenia and bipolar (they dont think its that but want to rule it out).

they think he also has epilsepsy and ptsd in conjunction with whatever else is wrong...

i know he is taking anti-psychotic medications... and i know what they are ruling out, but what else could it be?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They are mood stabalisers so perhaps it's to keep him calm as well.

TBH I would be asking them this question. If he is on anti-psychotics and they are suggesting an admission to a psych unit then it does sound like this is the avenue they are considering. There is a whole spectrum of things which these drugs could be used to treat.

I actually know how hard it can be to wait for these things to pan out. Mental health diagnoses can take a long time and medication is trial and error until they find something that works.

As hard as it is, I think it's best to ask the dr this question, as much as people here may have your best interests at heart, we simply do not know your DS situation and that can lead to more worry for you.

I really hope he is ok

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH has been dx With Reactive Anxiety with acute depression, Reactive Depression with Acute Depression, Epilepsy, PTSD, Mild Adhd & Bipolar type 4.

He has been on both those drugs but not at the same time from memory.

I know the Seraquel was used as an anti psychotic after we advised the Psych of Night terrors and again after dx of PTSD & again after dx of Bi polar. I cannot remember when he was on the other (it's been a 3 year journey)but I know it didn't work for him and was only on it a week or 2.

He has been put on different & had dose of his anti-psych meds changed due to Night terrors, Bi-polar, & how his other meds effect him. He has been on 2 anti -psych meds at once before (seraquel & Abilify) as 1 helped with the Night terrors & 1 helped with day time anxiety.

If you are near Westmead and worried your current doc isn't helping I know DH's Psych is in westmead (as are we if you ever need a chat whilst in the area) and if he can't help may recommend someone. He is a great Doc & has even Dx me thought conversations with DH (PTSD from looking after DH & was also one of the people who suggest I get tested for Gall stones). He is one of 2 Doctors DH can stand to talk to.