+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Transitioning from bassinet to cot

When did you do it? Any dramas? Is there an age that it is easier or harder? Did you start just for day sleeps initially?

DS is nearly 8 weeks and while all is ok in the bassinet now, I've tried a couple of times to put him in the cot for day sleeps but he obviously notices it is different (much less cosy!) and won't sleep there at all. He's not generally a good day sleeper anyway but has just started sleeping through the night every now and then, so maybe I should just put him in the cot at night when he gets too big for the bassinet. I'm terrified of messing up his amazingly good night sleeps though if he won't settle in the cot!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The first time I put DD in there she thought it was a game and laughed and cooed for like 20 mins resulting in me losing patience and putting her back in her bassinet! The second time she went to sleep rather easily and she slept through the night the first night she was in there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    We didn't move DS to his cot (and own room) until he was almost 6 months old. The first night was awful, 2nd night slightly better and by the 3rd night he was sleeping through! We didn't bother starting with day sleeps as he didn't (still doesn't) nap much during the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and DD was about 3.5 mths. I did it at a time where she was sleeping badly through the day (thinking things couldn't get worse!) and she did lots better in the cot!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Babies often change sleep patterns at around 4 months, so don't get disheartened or wonder if you are doing somethin wrong if this happens. Enjoy your big sleeps when the happen!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is 6 months and still in her basinette in our room, DH is making the cot today. I want a place to put her in during day naps. She wakes once a night so I might try the cot as she's getting bigger and can push against the basinette's edges and roll around...

Thanks
    Reviews
    We put the bassinette's inside the cots at first as it was a complete new room to sleep in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We moved our little girl into her cot at 9 weeks. We just swaddled her and kept the cot in our room.

No dramas

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannielle View Post
    We put the bassinette's inside the cots at first as it was a complete new room to sleep in.
    ^ this. That way bub won't feel overwhelmed by the vastness of the space around them.

I'd suggest doing it before the 4 month sleep regression so you're not having to battle with both afterwards.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've just put DD in her cot 2 days ago and she's 8 weeks also. We have it attached to our bed with one side down but she has taken to it very well, she seemed cramped in the bassinet. But she won't sleep in there, or anywhere that I'm not, for longer than 20 minutes during the day!