+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I only have one child to worry about - DD is 14mo and not yet walking but a very fast crawler. We haven't baby proofed anything, I can easily keep an eye on her in our open plan house and she knows to keep away from any cords or certain cupboards. She may get a bit upset occasionally but always respects a firm and consistent 'no'.

We have noticed the things she goes for so we make sure some things are packed away properly.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

mim1  (06-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    To be honest we never restricted access to anywhere. I have a 15 month old and a 2.5yo (yep need to fix my signature) and we keep a close eye on them. We trust that they are ok, if they cry we run to their aid, if they get where they shouldn't (dvd tower for example) we divert attention. If they get in a cupboard they souldn't i divert them to the one they can play in (ie: crockery cupboard to "their cupboard with their bottles plastic plates etc or the tupperware cupboard) discipline and the naughty chair if diversion fails. Two cupboards are latched wher we keep cleaning stuff etc and doors are shut to our room/ensuite. Supervision is key. It is tough, but i personally rather exploring kids that learn their boundaries and environment than fencing them off. Yes they climb on chairs and the eldest on tables and sometimes on benches but they are learning their own physical limitations at the same time and i am learning about them, their inclinations and they are mentally stimulated all the time. I should say though that as soon as an external door opens they want out!! so the house is really just a big play pen!! and as for mess, i just accept it as part and partial of kids growing up.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KyD For This Useful Post:

mim1  (07-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is a spirited/adventurous one and we also have quite an open plan house. We went from having a playpen, which didnt last that long before she was over it, to putting a baby gate across her playroom so she could just play there. And then when she started to want to get free of there and explore we decided to just pretty much give free reign but the things she absolutely couldnt touch. We ended up using extensions and gates to gate off our kitchen (because she was climbing up the oven ) and we blocked off the laundry (which has no door) with a gate. Closed all the bedroom doors. And then all the rooms she had free reign of (lounge, living, games room, playroom) we put everything breakable or dangerous away. We even for a while had to pack all our dining chairs away as she kept climbing on them.

She is 2.5 now and we are coming to the end of this now I think. The kitchen is no longer gated off and the child latches are mostly gone and we have dining chairs again

6. The Following User Says Thank You to erinn For This Useful Post:

mim1  (07-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think our house is considered open plan but I've never used a playpen for my 18mo or had baby gates up. DS is my shadow so I've never needed to worry about where he is lol! Maybe when he's older he'll be more independent but hopefully he's better disciplined by then too hehe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to captainscaptain For This Useful Post:

mim1  (07-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks everyone. My dd wants to explore her world as quickly & thoroughly as possible. She's much more adventerous than my ds ever was and of course there's the added challenge of my ds's toys/etc in the lounge room. I don't want to banish my ds & his toys elsewhere, so we'll have to work out a solution, somehow. Completely baby proofing the lounge/dining/kitchen is a little overwhelming right now, but it will be done - just not overnight. It's a really big change for us, but everyone's ideas have really helped and we'll work on it slowly but surely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We also put a gate on DS's room and kept all his lego etc behind the gate so DD couldn't get to it. We kept doors to bathrooms closed and also put a gate on the laundry so the cat could get in but DD couldn't. We were fortunate enough to find a large gate to run from the edge of the kitchen bench to the wall so we managed to block that off but after a while it was too annoying and we just moved all the plastic stuff to a bottom drawer and made sure she knew where it was and let her go nuts. She never went to any other cupboards except the pantry and well I didn't mind that much. We never put locks or anything on the cupboards but honestly neither of my kids ventured in to them. I have a friend that puts rubber bands around her handles to stop them opening which she finds quick and easy to deal with.

As for the rest of the house we just moved things up higher, we kept the pram in front of the one bookshelf we had so she couldn't get to it and kept toys all over the place for them to roam. Both DD and DS never had any accidents or pulled anything down so somehow it worked.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by duckduckgoose View Post
    Same as PPs - shut doors and childproof everything. I don't expect DS to be in my line of sight all day long, but I know wherever he is in the house he's safe because it's all childproof.
    This.
    Open plan here too. Make it safe, and then, as annoying as it is, have a few toys in the rooms they can get to so they will more likely play with them instead of anything else. If you can't hear your child ie things strangely grow quiet, go and find them cause they are most likely into something you don't want them touching!
    Count yourself lucky that they cant open the door handles yet. DS2 is tall for his age and could open our lever door handles at 13mths!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mikayla is 14 months and has been walking since 9 months. She's into everything, climbs everything, and is a gorgeous little mischevious thing. Lol. I keep all bedroom, bathroom and toilet doors closed at all times, and have gates to stop her getting in the kitchen. Our house is a bit awkward too, and standard baby gates did not fit, but where there's a will there's a way. Our kitchen is not safe for my little girl.

And other than that I just watch her 24/7! Doesn't matter how baby proof my house is, she climps up on the couch and sits on the back of it, climbs ONTO the tv cabinet, coffee tables etc. So she just simply has to be watched. There's honestly not a minute of the day (except daycare days of course!) That I don't have my eyes on her, and know exactly what she's doing and where she is, all. the. time.

I detest play pens and don't own one, but if I did I would only use it for emergency moments, like I had to go to the toilet and knew she couldn't be trusted for 1 min. Other than that, she needs to explore and be a baby
    Last edited by CazHazKidz; 09-10-2012 at 13:03.