+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default So what makes a good mother?

My MIL annoys the sh1t put of me. She's a little pretentious and judgmental, but she's always been nice to me.

She lives in Europe so I don't have to see her very often. She wasn't the greatest mother to her kids, but not the worst, either, but they survived.

Anyway, I got this text message earlier saying "glad you are the mother of my grandchildren when I hear about the murder of the 5 year old in Wales!"

I replied, "sounds awful, haven't heard anything about it here. Did the mother kill her child?"

She then replied, "a girl was abducted outside her door by a local man and murdered. I can't help but think of *insert dd's name here* and what a good mother you are and very lucky for that"

I wrote back, "how terrible for the mother. I'm sure she is a good mother?!"

anyway, as I said my mil sh1ts me sometimes, implying this mother is not a good mother because her daughter was kidnapped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't read it as she thinks the other woman is a bad mother....just that the thought of losing a child made her think of her grandkids and a compliment to you.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

onedayatatime  (05-10-2012),WineTime  (05-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    ditto what river song said, i think it was intended to read that the thought of anything happening is awful, that she is glad you are such a good mother and looking out for them.
    don't think she meant that the other woman is bad, but when things happen you just realise how important your loved ones are.
    (although a strange way to compliment you!!!)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I agree with PP. I didnt read that as you have taken it at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    My MIL annoys the sh1t put of me. She's a little pretentious and judgmental, but she's always been nice to me.

She lives in Europe so I don't have to see her very often. She wasn't the greatest mother to her kids, but not the worst, either, but they survived.

Anyway, I got this text message earlier saying "glad you are the mother of my grandchildren when I hear about the murder of the 5 year old in Wales!"

I replied, "sounds awful, haven't heard anything about it here. Did the mother kill her child?"

She then replied, "a girl was abducted outside her door by a local man and murdered. I can't help but think of *insert dd's name here* and what a good mother you are and very lucky for that"

I wrote back, "how terrible for the mother. I'm sure she is a good mother?!"

anyway, as I said my mil sh1ts me sometimes, implying this mother is not a good mother because her daughter was kidnapped.
    Yeah I think I get what you mean. We don't know the circumstances surrounding what happened, so it's horrible to imply that the girl's mum was a bad mother just because that happened. How awful.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (05-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    OP, I know what you mean and I would have found it a strange "compliment" to get. My MIL sounds quite similar to yours - but I see mine all the time!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (05-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Gee even if put in a weird way it's still a complement to you and definitelly not something my MIL would express to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I think it was the way the compliment was given. Strange. I am the first to admit that almost everything she does annoys me, but I did a bit of reading about the girl and apparently the kidnapper was known to family. It just annoyed me too because it can happen to anyone.

anyway, thanks for listening, it's not as if I can go and complain on Facebook about the mil

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I read it as though your MIL was saying the mother of the abducted child wasn't doing their job properly, ....and she was happy she had a good daughter in law in you, as you would be more responsible and keep a closer eye on your child.

---- I feel for the mum in Wales. But who lets their 5 year old play out the front of their house unsupervised nowdays?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I read it as though your MIL was saying the mother of the abducted child wasn't doing their job properly, ....and she was happy she had a good daughter in law in you, as you would be more responsible and keep a closer eye on your child.

---- I feel for the mum in Wales. But who lets their 5 year old play out the front of their house unsupervised nowdays?
    You could be my MIL!