+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    This is my concern... I know that they're the experts but I want to do as much a possible to have a natural birth, and I've read that being on your back is more likely to lead to intervention. I'll have my mum in there with me and she's a tough cookie that has been through 4 of her own births so I'm sure she'll speak up if I'm not getting my way
    YOU are the expert in your body, what feels right, and what you want. YOU are educating yourself on how birth works. YOU are the one who has to live with the consequences of your birth. It is YOUR body, YOUR baby, YOUR choice.

It is sad that health care providers don't always recognise or appreciate these truths.

It is great that you have a strong advocate in your Mum. Let her know all the things you want, write it down and devise a plan together, so when it is time for baby to come, you have all the information there and don't have to think about it cos you know what you want.

While writing your plan for your optimal birth, also research, consider and devise plans for if circumstances arise. It is easier to think about what you will or won't consent to now.

Best wishes for an awesome birth and first meeting with your baby!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

JR03  (06-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is my concern... I know that they're the experts but I want to do as much a possible to have a natural birth, and I've read that being on your back is more likely to lead to intervention. I'll have my mum in there with me and she's a tough cookie that has been through 4 of her own births so I'm sure she'll speak up if I'm not getting my way

Can I just say, don't go in with the attitude that they are the "experts". YOU are the expert on birthing your baby. If you believe that THEY are the experts, it will probably be your undoing. (I'm speaking from personal experience -- two out of four births I handed my control over to the "experts" and both times things went skew-wiff.) Just trust that your body and baby know what they are doing and just do what feels right for you at the time.
    Keep in the back of your mind that they are the experts in "problems" and unfortunately, more often than not, they are the CAUSE of the problems.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kbf2plus2 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (06-10-2012),Happy2be3  (06-10-2012),JR03  (06-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was just reading on another thread that its much easier to give birth in positions other than your back. I've only even seen births on TV lol so I just thought everyone did it on their back.
    And THIS is a huge reason many women suffer birth trauma these days... Often our only birth examples are from tv which are NOT positive examples.

As to Weather the midwife will encourage you to be on your back all depends who you get. If you want a positive birth, tell them to get stuffed and get up,walk, rock, be upright as much as you can!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (06-10-2012),JR03  (06-10-2012)