+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Day care?? What on earth do I do?

Hi there,

This is my first child, and I am not due until early March but, I've just been hearing about how hard it is to get into a Day Care, Child Care Centre etc, and I'm freaking out! I have no experience in this matter at all!

I'm planning to have 12 months off work from late FEb, but when should I start looking/putting name on lists for Day Care? From the things I've been hearing, I should have put my name down last year!

At this stage I think I'm preferring FDC, but how on earth do you find a good one! How do you know? What do you do! Eek! Am I freaking out over nothing??

Any advice would be great!

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Put your name down now with everyone. It can't hurt. Centres and FDC can't tell you about their vacancies until about 4-6 weeks before your start date.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Depends on what day care is like where you live. I've had my son down at several places since I was six weeks pregnant, by the time he starts care in January he will have been on the list for 20 months. Friends who have children the same age who put their names down 2-3 months later are really struggling to find somewhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Damn I hadn't even thought of this :/ another thing to add to my to do list!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I put my name down at the child care centre at work as soon as I found out I was pregnant. Theres an 18 month wait list so even by putting my name down when I was only 5 weeks pregnant, I still might not get a place straight away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Just go look at the local centres and get some info packs. Call your nearby FDC and get info from them too. I've never had issues getting a spot a centre. I go in, book in immediately, then start that week or the week after.

I couldn't get in to FDC when I tried though as there weren't enough carers in the area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I contacted a centre close to home a few weeks ago who told me to put bubs name down ASAP as they already have kids on the waiting list for 2014! Thanks for reminding me that I have to fill out the form :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It would be good put your name down at many centres now, then closer to the time you will need it, go and visit a few- I always went on the 'vibe' of a place, the teachers and how long they had been there, rather than on how 'new' or 'modern' a centre was. Your timing will be quite good, as it is often easier to come in at the start of a new year of enrollments, rather than trying to pick up days in the middle of the year- so even if you start bub at the start of the new daycare year in Jan, you can settle bub in before you start work again in the Feb. As for family v day care, this is such a personal decision. Personally, I chose day care due to multiple carers and the centre was obviously made for that specific purpose, with fire safety etc, and they organised extra activites and had a pre-school program. Having said that, I have never tried family care so can't comment on the benefits of that. All the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have used family daycare for my youngest daughter, primarily because I could not get her into the same daycare as her bigger sister on both days that I needed. I ended up really disliking it because it is quite unstable as in the operator called me on 2 occasions- only an hour before DD was due to be dropped off to tell me she couldn't come that day. And then another time I picked DD up and she told me that she would be closing down in a few weeks time while they went on a 2 week holiday. This wasn't suitable for DH and I as his work and my study commitments are not that flexible. So needless to say I pulled her out after about 11 weeks and she got days at our daycare. I'd never use FD again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thepouts if its family day care run by the family day care scheme which it should be they are supposed to organise alternative care for when the carer is sick or on holidays. My friend runs a family daycare and she has to take her 4 weeks a year and they organise a carer while she is away.

OP I work in childcare and even with me getting priority as a staff member and not wanting care until Nov 13 my child is on the wait list now and I will be waitlisting at a few other centres in case I can't get in at mine as even working there there mightn't be a spot when I go back. We have had staff members kids on the list for 18 months before getting a spot.
    Last edited by Gemma121; 06-10-2012 at 10:22.