+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How many embryos / transfers to get your BFP?

Hi
    I've just had a BFN on my 4th transfer (5 embryo's transferred all together) and looking for some hope.

I was wondering how many transfers (IVF/ICSI/FET) did you do before your BFP and how many embryo's in total were transferred before you got the BFP?

I've heard the stats that most women get pregnant within 3 rounds of IVF and am getting a little disheartened.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Kyllara-I'm so sorry that you've had another BFN. Never gets any easier does it!?

Mine is all basically in my signature, but to sum it up, I fell pregnant with my DS on my first transfer (first stim).

When TTC#2 I fell pregnant on my second FET (still from the first stim that resulted in DS, it was my 3rd transfer all up)-the egg split & I was pregnant with identical twins whom I sadly lost at 14 weeks.

I then did 2 more stims in total & fell pregnant with a FET on the 5th transfer since losing our twins.

So all up I have had 8 transfers in total, 3 pregnancies, 2 chemicals & 3 BFN's (only 1 embryo transferred each time).

I hope all that makes sense!? Fingers crossed that your next transfer is your lucky one! Wishing you all the best!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to The Time Has Come For This Useful Post:

kyllara  (05-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    kyllara, I'm so sorry to hear about the BFN.

I was one of the lucky ones. Got my BFP on my first transfer with a single embryo. We have 2 embies frozen.

Thinking of you.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to romaverona For This Useful Post:

kyllara  (05-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kyllara,

So sorry about your BFNs. I know how you're feeling. I'm about to have transfer #7 next week. I've had 2 fresh and 4 FET. I got BFPs (chemical preg) on transfer 4&5.

I'm not writing to dishearten you but rather to let you know that after my 6th I was at a loss as to what to do next so I saw a reproductive immunologist who tested me for a variety of immune issues that my FS 'doesn't believe in'. (I'd asked to be tested after BFN#3 but was told there's no point, we just need to wait for a lucky embryo)
    I tested positive for some of these and am now going through a fresh cycle with my FS but using an immune protocol from the RI. I feel confident for the first time in a long time. Without the knowledge I now have I'd still be going through transfers on the advice of my FS when my immune test results showed there was basically no way an embryo could have implanted.

Please don't let your FS tell you it's a numbers game. I'm currently reading a book called "Is your body baby friendly" by Dr Alan Beer. He studied IVF implantation failure for over 25 years and has shown that 'for women failing their 5th IVF there is 100% incidence of NK cell numbers or activity. Effective treatments are available to deal with this'.

Please PM me if you want more info, and best of luck with your next cycle.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bella978 For This Useful Post:

AceOfBase  (05-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you thetimehascome and romaverona for taking the time to reply. You both seem to have gone through a lot to finally get your precious babies and I wish you all the best for the upcoming births

Bella978 - thank you for your response -it didn't dishearten me at all - in fact it made me feel a little less alone and hopeless. I'd be interested to hear what extra drugs you are on this cycle -I can PM you if you'd rather tell me that way. I have an appointment with my FS on 8th Oct and plan to ask her if she has tested me for NK cells (I had a uterine biopsy in May). If not then I'd like her to do some testing before the next cycle. She has done some blood testing for things like MTHR and lupus etc and it all came back negative. I was going to ask her though if I could be put on prednisolone/clexane just in case. I know that both of them aren't very nice but I'm willing to try anything as I'm sure most of us are. We've already been told to start thinking about donor eggs as my severe endo has radically reduced my egg numbers. Plus the Stim drugs really exacerbate the endo so I really feel like I'm in a bit of a race against time. After the first 4 stim cycles I ended up with a 10cm ovarian (endo related) cyst and had to have a laparotomy to remove it. The next time they do that surgery they're going to have to remove my ovaries so I'm worried that I really only have another 3 cycles left with my own eggs - hence the reason I'm willing to try anything!
    I really hope this cycle is the perfect one for you Bella978 and that you get a wonderful BFP. I'll keep an eye out on the boards for you to see your news!

PS - do you recommend the Alan Beer book - I've heard of it before and wondered if I should by it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear things have been disappointing.
    A few thoughts: might be worth asking about a new drug regime? what sort of quality were the embyros? check out if there is a uterus issue etc. In other words really get investigating before committing to another cycle.
    I notice your AMH is quite low. Have you considered an egg donor? Hs it been mentioned at all? If the eggs have been poor it may be worth considering.
    PM me if you want some ideas on donor eggs.

xoxox
    Fortitude

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fortitude For This Useful Post:

kyllara  (05-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi.
    We got lucky on cycle number 4 and embryo number 4 and are thinking of trying again in the new year. The three cycle quote is actually 9 transfers based on 3 stims and 2 FETs per cycle.
    You've got some good advice already. Each situation is different and only you will know when enough is enough. I wish you the best of luck.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ManchesterLass For This Useful Post:

kyllara  (05-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Fortitude. So far we've tried long down reg, antagonist and flare cycles. Last cycle was a down reg (after 1 month zoladex) with 450iu Gonal F. We keep getting told that our embryo's are good quality but I am going to quiz the FS about that again next week. The last 2 transfers they have said the embryo's look text book good but it hasn't worked. My uterus apparently looks normal too.
    The FS keeps saying that it's a numbers game and that endo can damage the quality of the embryos so even if they look good they may not be. She has said that we should start thinking of donor eggs though. For a short while I thought my younger sister might donate (she'd made a flippant comment saying she would) but she's since said that she wouldn't be comfortable with that -which I totally understand. I know that we may need to do it but right now I'd like to try for a baby genetically linked to me so I'd like to keep trying with my eggs. I've sort of said to myself that if it doesn't work after 10 transfers then I'll re think about the donor egg scenario.
    Next week I'm going to ask about adding letrazole/clomid to the stim cycle next time as I've read they can help.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kyllara For This Useful Post:

Fortitude  (07-10-2012),Lillac  (06-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The 2 things my FS added in the the stim phase this cycle are pregnyl and Human Growth Hormone. The HGH is linked to increased take home baby rates- wonder if it's worth asking about for you?
    Glad to see you have a plan about cycling and setting a limit. Great idea.

xoxo
    Fortitude

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kyllara,

The RI I'm seeing has put me on a pretty aggressive protocol. He is one of only 2 doctors in Australia (from my research) that really subscribes to Dr Beer's immune treatment. Many FSs are really against it, but my FS wasn't putting anything else on the table so I told him he had to go along with it!

I'll PM you the exact protocol. I suspected immune issues might have played a part in my recurrent implantation failure when I got my first ever BFP (chem - hcg 37) on transfer #4 (fresh) and my FS had put me on a 'luteal protocol' (5 days steroids, 5 days antibiotics, Clexane after ET and Progynova). Same protocol next cycle and another chem pg.

I do recommend Dr Beer's book. It has been a valuable source of info for me. There is also a section on endometriosis and there are very strong links between endo and autoimmune activity.