+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes this is definitely possible, especially When ready feeding as often it's something you've eaten that passes through to your milk and therefore bub.

Hugs to you, it's a frustrating journey, especially when you are dealing with medical professionals who really have no idea!!

Also the screaming can come straight after the feed, I remember my DD screamed right afterwards, horrible! It's definitely a different cry to the 'normal' newborn baby cry, it's a cry of Mum help me! This really hurts!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Albert01,

There can be times when they are worse than others, and I think that this is why it took me so long to get a diagnosis and for me to be really pushing the point that something wasn't quite right. I figured out for myself before the diagnosis that he was better slept on an angle (I rolled up a thin towel and put under his mattress - probably not best sleep pracitce but I was doing anything I could to try and get him to sleep), and that I had to keep him up-right as much as I could. He would cry in the car and the pram and I soon realised that laying him flat was uncomfortable for him. Some days we'd have a great day and I'd start to think that maybe he was turning the corner, or was growing out of whatever it was that was troubling him, but then we'd be back at square one.

I think I read another post where someone said that you can deal with slient reflux without medication, and all I can comment on that is I believe it depends how severe the reflux is. To some extent all babies are 'refluxy' in that their valve from the stomach to the esophagus is not supre efficient until they are around 6-8 months old, however some babies suffer so much that they need to be on medication to alkalise the stomach acid to reduce their pain. I should add that my oldest DS is still on medication now (age 5) for his reflux. My second eldest DS had less severe reflux which I managed with sleeping positions and mylanta and my baby DS aged 7 months thankfully shows no symptomes - 3rd time lucky!

I've been thinking of you over the weekend and wondering how you were going. I know it can be really isolating when you feel something isn't quite right with your baby but no one really knows how to help.

Just another thought, have you tried an osteopath? We tried with DS1 for the reflux and I'll be honest and say I am not sure how much difference it made as we didn't see him until we'd started the medication, however someone else I met through my playgroup who also had a child with silent reflux feels that their osteo really helped.

I have seen an osteopath for my youngest DS for colic-like symptoms that he began to experience after starting solids at 5 months and I think it was worth the visit. He showed me some massage techniques to use on him when he is unsettled, and we've also just put him on a baby probiotic. The osteo explained to me that most probiotics from general pharmacies are useless for babies under 18 months of age (despite the jar saying they are fine to use from 3 months) as they do not contain the major probiotic they need. I have the right one now but we've only just started so too soon to tell if it will make a difference. The probiotic to look for that babies need is bifidobaterium bifidum, as well as the others that most other brands already have in them.

The choking, swallowing and coughing noises you described Albert01 were all classic signs in my experience of the silent reflux. At the end of the day, all you can do it go with your gut if you feel something is not right. I ignored my own instincts for those first few weeks as he was my first and I doubted myself, plus I listened to bad advice/opinions telling me it was colic and all babies cried. If things don't improve or you aren't having more good days than bad then that may be the sign to tell you to look into it further.

Sorry for the long post - it's just a subject close to my heart.

I really hope you get to the bottom of why your little man is so unsettled so you can begin to enjoy all the wonderful things about being a mummy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks missie_mack. I will try some mylanta. Thanks for referring me to the Sydney Children's hospital...it was really helpful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Stella Marie...the weekend has been okay, thanks. We have made an appointment to see a GP tomorrow. We always go to the same medical centre but occasionally need to see different Doctors from the centre. We've seen 3 GP's so far...tomorrow will be our fourth visit. I think my partner and I need to think about and prepare for how we handle it. The article that missie_mack referred me to kind of suggests that mylanta is the first remedy to test so I expect that the Doctor might point us in that direction to start.... As long as they don't patronise me or try to placate my concerns by normalising how much infants cry etc.

I'll also check out the infant probiotics. I've done a little reading on that...but...do you feel like sharing the name of the product you use....or is that a bubhub no-no?

Thank you for you thoughts and advice...it's really appreciated...I will postbafter our Doctor's visit tomorrow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Albert01, hope the visit to the doctor's today was pa positive step forward.

The probiotic is BioCeuticals BabyBiotic. I'm in Tassie and it was hard to find - the osteo gets it in from Sydney and there is a pharmacy in Hobart that stocks it. The one we were trying before from the local pharmacy was Inner Health Plus for kids - this is the one that is lacking one of the major probiotics for children under 18 months of age according to the osteopath.

It will be interesting to see if I notice any difference - I will post my findings!

Hope all is well with you and bubs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    we started with mylanta too. it was good just to get confirmation of why he was so upset (and it wasn't just in our heads)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all...just an update...we took Nicholas to the Doctor yesterday. He screamed through the appointment, which is odd, he is usually a sleepy angelic little thing when we are at the Doctors.

Anyhow, we just said that we believed he is suffering with reflux and described the symptoms he has. She prescribed him with 3.75mg of granulated Nexium (daily)...early days but hopefully this will help.

I think Nexium and Losec are almost identical....

Thank you all for your advice and support...
    Last edited by Albert01; 09-10-2012 at 15:54. Reason: Typos

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad to hear you had a doctor who listened to you. If you see an improvement in the next week or two then you'll know that you've found the cause of the problem - I really hope it works