+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Reflux, colic.....advice...?

Hi,

My son has colic...can someone describe what I would notice if he had 'silent reflux'?

Also, could probiotics be helpful...has anyone had any success with these?

I am soooooooo over it....and I'm sure he is too...

Thanks
    Reviews
    My advice would to see a dr sooner rather then later. Reflux is awful if left untreated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have had huge success with probiotics for tummy issues, although DS was never colicky...

Good luck xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Silent reflux shows in many ways but some of the easiest to pick up are arching of the back while screaming, and being very unsettled 1-1 1/2 hrs after a feed. Every bub is so different though and will show different symptoms to another.
    Good luck hope you get it sorted out soon.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TnA For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (06-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our dd had silent reflux and we noticed she would be fine if held upright after feeds, she could even sleep but laying her down she would always wake shortly after screaming. Also use to look like she kept swallowing and coughing when we picked her up as of there was something in her throat irritating her. Arching of her back as well. As pp said though every baby is different so get your gp to check it out. Our go observed her feeding and after the feed to make the diagnosis. Hope that helps

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashram For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (06-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

How old is your bub? What makes you say he's colicky. Does he cry for at least three hours a day for at least three days a week? That's generally colic and there's no 'cure' as there is sometimes no 'cause'

Is he is crying as a PP said, for upto 1.5 hours after a feed and is back arching but not spilling much or any milk it is likely to be silent reflux.

A probiotic may help but it's unlikely to solve the issue if it is silent reflux.

Definitely get in to see the GP as there is medication that will help.

Do you breast or bottle feed? Does your son have any eczema? I'm just wondering if it is silent reflux what may cause it. Sometimes cows milk base formulas or if you are having dairy in your diet it can cause reflux, especially if he also has a rash.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CuddlesAwait For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (06-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

My poor baby sometimes cries for 4-5 hours day....I'd say that 5 out of 7 days are really tough days.

He doesn't spill much milk and is putting on weight really well.

He cries a little sooner than that...maybe anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour or so after feeding. He arches his back, draws up his legs and kicks them fairly forcefully. He doesn't sleep well...he seems to be woken up with those wet kind of coughs described by Ashram above...it sounds like he is choking. My partner and I have been taking turns having him sleep on us for then past few weeks as he is really unsettled. He is breast fed...nothing else. On the advice of my Pediatrician I cut out dairy about four weeks ago but it hasn't helped, unfortunately. I haven't noticed any eczema or rashes, just the odd red blotch.

I have talked with my GP about my concerns, as well as the Pediatrician...the Ped advised us that if mynson had reflux he would be screaming when he vomits...my son doesn't scream when he vomits....

My GP said that everything I described to her sounded normal for a newborn... But perhaps i did not do a great job of explaining things. This left me thinking that perhaps I have it all wrong....but perhaps I should be a little more confident in my intuition that things just aren't right...?
    Last edited by Albert01; 06-10-2012 at 01:55. Reason: Typos

Thanks
    Reviews
    Firstly Albert01 can I just say I am so sorry to hear how hard things are for you, and to try and hang in there becuase it will improve.

It certainly sounds like silent reflux. My first son had this, and was undiagnosed until he was almost 11 weeks. Those first few months were hell - we went to different doctors and paeds. and some of the advice we got was so bad! We were told "It's just colic, he'll grow out of it", and "Babies are meant to cry you know" ...not very helpful! In the end after a 3 hour screaming episode I took him an after hours medical centre where a kind doctor listened patiently as my husband and I described the past 10 weeks - very similar to what you are going through - and he sent us to the local hospital to see the paed. and was finally diagnosed. After 5 days on Zantac syrup we had a much happier baby who finally slept longer than an hour at a time.

I also only breatfed and tried an elimination diet but all this did was made me feel like I was useless and my baby's unsettledness was because of something I was doing. I lost weight and felt so run down because on top of not sleeping I was also not eating properly. My son continued to gain weight, didn't scream when he vomited, in fact he rarely vomited hence the "silent" reflux diagnosis.

Albert01, the Refluxing Infant Support Assoc. (RISA) has some info on their website you may find useful. I would seek a second opinion and contact your local maternal and child health nurse about getting some help for you! I spoke to a lovely nurse (for free) by doing this at one of the parent centres and she really made me feel like things would be okay again oneday and that I was doing a good job as a mother.

Good luck, hang in there ...I really feel for you and the hard time you are going through.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to stella marie For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (06-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Stella has some good advice.

DO you notice an acidic smell to his breath?

I had one baby with silent reflux (undiagnosed, we thought it was 'colic' but after #2, i know it was reflux), and #2 with chucky reflux. Both times it took a long time to be acknowledged by health care professionals. Especially, if you have an appointment and the baby smiles at the HCP and is happy for that 10 minutes . Don't doubt yourself, if you need help keep going back.

With #2, we started with 1ml mylanta to see if this relieved him, and then went on to medicate for a few months.

You can do it without medication too. i really wanted to avoid it, but then decided to go for it. it felt like the right decision at the time, but i still wonder.

Wearing baby in an upright position, especially after feeds can help.
    Osteo/chiro helps some babies
    Small meals

the ABA has some info on their site under Common Concerns - baby.

you might find these relevant

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/reflux.html

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/fussy.html

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/whycry.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you Stella Marie, it really helps to hear about your experiences. It has made me realise that my partner and I shouldn't have blind faith in our medical professionals. I have made an appointment with our local child health nurse.

Bubbles10, I haven't noticed an acidic smell on his breath but I will watch out for it.

Can I ask one last question...? Is it usual for reflux to occur after every feed? Can there be days or feeds where the baby seems less distressed and in less pain?

Cheers