+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default HELP with Medications - how to give them...

someone, please help me! My 8 week old is suffering from silent relux quite severly. He is on Losec, Zantac and Mylanta (and was advised to also give infant gaviscon if needed). I am finding it extremely difficult to administer the medications as he pushes all the liquid out with his tongue as he hates the taste (DONT BLAME HIM - its gross). Can I add any of these to his formula or will the medication not work if i do that? He is on S26 AR formula.
    We already do the whole - sit him upright for 30 min after feeds, have a wedge in his cot to lift the matress, also have the ends f his cot on yellow pages books, burp him regulary, give warm baths (as he has colic too)...This is so tiring as he constantly screams. We have been to the hospital 3 times already...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you tried one of the nurofen medicine sticks? they are pretty easy to use..Has the chemist given you one that's suitable for his mouth?..

I could be totally wrong about this, but maybe the formula isn't agreeing with him.. ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    whats a nurofen medicine stick? We have tried 5 diff formulas, if this one we r onnow doesnt help, im going to try for neocate but need a script for it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I disolve the tablet on spoon and down the hatch and infants friend in a medicine stick thing u know tube that u suck it up with. he doesn't mind the infants friend so he sucks that down.even try on the spoon once disolved put the bottle straight in his mouth.. So they suck it down

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angenrod View Post
    whats a nurofen medicine stick? We have tried 5 diff formulas, if this one we r onnow doesnt help, im going to try for neocate but need a script for it...

It comes with the babies nurofen that you buy (even tho your little one is a bit young for it still, it's 3Mths plus) and it's like a syringe that you draw the liquid out of the bottle with and you squirt it into their mouth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I feel for you, DD was the same until her cows milk protein intolerance was diagnosed and we put her on Neocate (was breastfed before that with formula top ups).

When giving the medicine, we used a small syringe (3ml) and aimed it into the side of her mouth. This is how we were shown by the nurses and it was pretty effective. Sounds weird but blowing gently on their face makes them swallow.

Does your bub have any other symptoms like mucous in the poo, pulling knees up or rashes? I would get intolerances ruled out as no meds helped my DD until we treated the root cause.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

angenrod  (05-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow to be on sooo many different reflux/colic medicines ..i used liquid losec, had to get it from a specific compounding pharmacy .. Like another person suggested, squirting medicine to the side of if their mouth, on their gum where they can't push it out.. Dummies !!!! We tried 4 different types till we found one that dd likes..once we found the right one is was heaven !!!!!! 
    There's another non script reflux colic formula.. Novalac u think ?? Have you already tried this ?? Is baby lactose intolerant?? I'd get a referral to see paedatrican ..
    Mayb try sleeping in their side?? Also maybe try different bottle  or teat?? Expensive I know but they are all different.. also tummy time may help, or rocking baby on tummy across your lap??
    Think there is another thread regarding reflux ..have a look, there maybe more suggestions there.. All the best .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 3Rreg For This Useful Post:

angenrod  (05-10-2012)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Liquid medicines- aim them into the side of the mouth/cheek. It is reflex for a baby to swallow them, and they cannot pull their tongue around to swish it out.

HTH

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

angenrod  (05-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do try to squirt it into the side of his mouth. We have Mam bottles to help witht he colic and they have been excellent. He has a dummy and takes it 50% of the time.
    We are seeing a new paed on Monday as our current one is pathetic.
    i have not tried Novalac but if things dont workout n the S26 AR, i will try Novalac, unless our new paed gives us a script for the other formula (neocote?). I was thinking he may have an intolerance but he has no mucus in poo and his skin is very clear.
    I do sleep him on his side and he does like his tummy time (thank God). He does pull his knees up often but doesnt have a rash anywhere.

I have not tried gently blowing in his face...so will try that next time. Thanks.

Thanks to everyone so far for offering tips and advice. i appreciate it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a PP said that is a lot of medication! If he's on Zantac and losec, there should be no need for mylanta.

With administering it, I'd recommend not to get it made up into a suspension as its not as effective as dissolving the tablets, as it's the little beads that do the job. I usually put the half tablet (broken by hand) onto a tablespoon and pour cooled boiled water on it until it dissolves. Then I drain off the excess water and use a plastic baby spoon to move the contents into two other baby spoons and use these to pour it into the back and side of her mouth then I have a syringe filled with apple juice which I squirt into her mouth to wash it down.

If his skin is really clear it may not be an intollerance so I wouldn't be forking out for a prescription formula without a script. The 'rules' in prescribing these formulas has changed recently and a general paediatrician can't prescribe it without consulting a paed gastro so it can be difficult.

My DD has had silent reflux since birth and recently after a good spell after some strong meds she regressed and it looks like she could be cows milk protein intolerant and she's just had a blood test to rule out any other intolerances, so maybe this is something your paed might do.

Good luck with it all, please keep us updated on how you are going with it all!!