+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default pram in domestic flights

Has anyone checked their pram at the gate when travelling in Australia? I have a baby jogger city mini and was hoping to take it with me to the boarding area to have it checked at the boarding gate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I haven't personally but I saw someone do it when we flew up north a few months ago. This was with Virgin.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure who you're flying with but Qantas provides you with a pram for your time in the terminal... I don't know how good they are yet we don't fly out for a couple of weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have only flown with qantas with my son and his pram was always checked in and one of the strollers was offered. Obviously the strollers are used a lot and seem dirty. Last time I just placed my carry on bags in the stroller and carried my son around the airport.

I am flying again soon and my son is too heavy for me to carry so I will be braving the airport stroller this time

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work as ground staff.. so can tell you, I check prams through to the gate all the time!
    All you do is check in and they will tag the pram there, then you can go to your gate and let the staff know you want it checked in, when you board, they will put a GATE tag on it and will come get it off you at boarding time..

Hope that helps..

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (05-10-2012),hipney  (05-10-2012),Starfish30  (05-10-2012),TnA  (05-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep I've done it with jetstar, so if they do it I assume the better airlines would! They let me take it right out on to the Tarmac then took it...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mmy2b For This Useful Post:

LifeInShadesOfGrey  (08-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It depends on the airport. When we came back from LA last year into Sydney the pram (BJCM) came through oversized luggage unprotected!!! Even though we had gate checked it in LA. We also had to book it through as luggage for our Sydney domestic flight, then they made me sign a disclaimer 'all care no responsibility' pretty much (Qantas). I had to ask for a plastic bag to put it in to give it some semblance of protection. Previously with my mac I had a stroller bag for it and I checked it as luggage and wore DS in a pikkolo (like an ergo). You can get a bag for your BJCM but they call it a 'storage' bag. I am not sure how well it stands up to travel. A few reviews on amazon don't rate it will
    It depends on the airline and the airport

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would say nope, a city mini is too big to put in the overhead lockers - although if people are saying they can put it under in storage, maybe they can.... ?

We've travelled with our city mini overseas a few times and they've always taken it off us when we check our luggage in.

If you really need a pram, the airport hire them that you can drop off at the gate, so you can check your pram in.

Definitely contact the airline first to check.

Thanks
    Reviews
    they dont go in the overhead.. pit crew come and pick it up and put it under neath...

Thanks
    Reviews
    haha yep I didn't think so... Sorry should have worded that properly.

We've flown with Jet star, Virgin and Air New Zealand, all with a City Mini, and have never got it to the gate, they've always put it in oversized baggage.

Spose it depends on the person on the day.