+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Question Need advise and new tactics for my 2.5yr old son!

I've been trying to toilet train my 2.5yr old (3 in early Dec) son for over a week now and I'm not sure it's going anywhere!!
    It's school holidays here in SA so last week I put him in undies and stayed home as much as we could. Sometimes he will be happy to sit on the potty or toilet for ages, sometimes doing something sometimes not but he has only twice showed any kind of sign of taking himself, I always have to ask him to go..... Lately he is resisting and only sitting on there once or twice a day. I'm sure he is ready as he knows it is coming and can independantly go to the toilet (get pants up and down and get on there) but no amount of bribes (stamps for trying, chocolate for a wee or poo) LOTS of praise for both trying, doing something and keeping dry pants, stamp charts, racing him there etc will keep his interest in going. He almost seems apprehensive for some reason to sit there now, he hasn't fallen off the toilet or anything like that so I'm not sure why. Either I or my 5yr old daughter will read to him on the toilet or he is offered my iPad to play but still no desire to sit there! He goes to Child Care on Wednesdays and will tend to sit on their little toilets but I think it's more of a novelty because he only goes once a week and they are little and the other kids are going, he wouldn't go on the little toilets at the shops the other day and he sees me and his sister go all the time.
    We went away last weekend and he was in pull ups (which I also use when we go out) so we are at the point where my days are busier and I don't have time to constantly clean up wee if he is refusing to sit on the toilet/potty so he's been in pull ups lately, he doesn't care if he's wet them (but has never been one to care much if Naples are dirty either).

Do I give up for now and back off completely? I'm sure he is ready and don't want him back in Naples in the day time so I'm happy for him to stay in pull ups.

Does anyone have any suggestions to encourage him to want to sit there? I've tried everything I can think of!

Heelp, his sister 'clicked' after 4 days and from that moment on was dry day and night!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just stop worrying about it. Even if he knows what to do he is obviously not 100% ready. My DS would sit on the toilet and do nothing for a couple of months and then one day he did one wee on the toilet, the next he asked to wear undies and it's been 3 weeks and he has had one day where he decided he would just wee on the floor so I put him back in nappies and then the next day he eanted undies again and he has had maybe 3 accidents and that has been it. He is also dry overnight most nights. I let my 2 girls train this way too and it was so much better and completely hassle free.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh also, I never even had to bribe/reward my kids.