+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Advice needed re going away before birth (partner)

Okay so my partner who has not travelled much, only overseas once, has been asked to go to a conference in Europe. It's for work and a very good opportunity. He would leave 5 weeks before the due date and be back with four weeks until due date.
    Would you be nervous, upset or not bothered. It's my first baby so I am mainly the first two!!! Would you say go or put your foot down?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's a difficult situation! For me I would be ok with it because I have alot of family support other than dh so if I did happen to have bubs earlier than expected I know I would not be alone! Do you have support close by other than your dh??
    I think although I would be really upset ( mainly that I wasn't also going) I would have I look at it as a great opportunity and tell dh to go!
    And then when he left I would cry and curse him for leaving me

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wannaBamumma For This Useful Post:

acerbaby  (04-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If all was going smoothly with my pregnancy, I would insist that he go as long as I had someone who could come and stay with me like my mum or my sister or a friend so I could do some nice pampering before baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As its your first I would say its ok. Not many people go 4 weeks early.
    My hubby went to QLD for a week with work at the same time as you're talking about.

But QLD is a bit closer than Europe It would have been easier if I didn't have the other 2 toddlers to look after. I told him he better enjoy it as its the last time he'll have on his own for quite some time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dh was away from when I was 35.5 weeks til I was 38 weeks, but he was only 2 hours away. I did the research and really very few babies come before 37 weeks. I spent a lot of time relaxing and spending time with my Mum getting ready for bubs arrival. I did find it stressful emotionally having dh away, but he was away for 2.5 weeks, not 1 week.

The issue is that if you do go into labour & have the baby your dh may miss it and are you both going to manage that emotionally? He can get travel insurance, but I doubt that they would pay for him to return early or not go if you had pregnancy issues/early delivery. You would need to check this. So, what happens if you have bubs at 32 weeks? He'd be around for the birth, but then if he didn't go away 2 weeks later he'd lose all the money for his trip.

Honestly, it's just a conference. I go to heaps and quite a few look great on paper and aren't that great. I've gone to some when I've been sick or distracted and even with my best efforts I struggle for those.

On a purely financial basis I'd probably say I personally wouldn't risk it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would say go! He's not taking a holiday, plus its only a week.
    DH was coming and going till the last 4 weeks (his doing I really wasn't bothered) and left for a week when baby was 8 weeks... the man's a wreak every time but I'm always reassuring him its ok! I can deal and its for work!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd probably be nervous about it but I'd let him go anyway. The chance of going that early is only very small. My partner is my only support person though so I would probably have to ask a friend to be my emergency support if I did happen to go early.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would tell him to go, I would be apprehensive sure, but it is only a week and it's also very unlikely you will go into labour 4 weeks early, but very likely you will go over due date! If you have another support person of course, I think you will be fine try to enjoy the time alone, I am sure you have heard this a million times, but time alone is rarer than trips to Europe when baby comes along!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd probably say let him go. You'd be 35-36 weeks... if you've got friends/family around the area that can help you if you go into early labour for some reason...

I'd maybe tell your OB or midwife, and just have them check you and make sure you're not engaged early.

My hubby went to NZ for a funeral when I was 35 weeks. I obviously couldn't go, but I was fine about him going. My son was born very quickly and unexpectedly at 37 weeks, which took us all by surprise, but I had no inclination at all even the day beforehand. This time with #2 I'll be more cautious, but I think 35 weeks is fine in my opinion.