+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That sounds yum!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Ok well I use the Stephanie Alexander one (her 2004 edition striped cover book). I use the same ingredients but with a slightly different method as I found her way made the cordial way too syrupy (she suggests using cold water and bringing it to the boil). Here 'tis:

2kg castor sugar
    1 litre water
    2 tablespoons citric acid
    2 tablespoons tartaric acid
    juice of 6 lemons, strained
    finely grated zest of 2 lemons

My method: Put sugar in a large non-reactive pot (I use stainless, seems to work fine). Boil a jug of water, measure out 1 litre and pour it over the sugar. Put the pot over low heat to keep it hot and stir the sugar to dissolve it. As soon as the sugar has dissolved, remove it from the heat and add the citric and tartaric acids. Cool. Stir in juice and zest, and bottle. Dilute to taste with water, lemonade, soda water or mineral water.

It really is delicious. FOB brings me back the washed out bottles from the cordial I give him and his DW (big hint: make more please!). So refreshing on a hot day!

Thankyou! Im going to test it on the weekend! This will be a great party drink for DS birthday party!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WineTime View Post
    Hollywood - would that keep for a while in sterilised bottles?
    Yes, it keeps for months, according to Stephanie (I keep it in the fridge).

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think a nice bottle of wine ($25 gets a good one IMO) or nice chocolate from a boutique chocolate place would be great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Thanks for the great replies!!

Laksa, you've given me a great idea. I make homemade lemon cordial (tastes like the good ol' days when my mum used to make it, from the Stephanie Alexander cookbook). I've got some vintage bottles to put it in that I got from an op shop, I think that would go down a treat. But if I don't get around to making that (am due to make a batch currently, have bought lemons and sugar), I'll perhaps go with some chocolates....Haighs do some really nice gift packs.

Ahh, I feel relieved now that I have a couple of ideas, I was stressing out! lol
    Great idea! I love getting things home made.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd go chocolates or your lemonade....all my grandpa's doctor friends (and rich friends in general lol) are massive wine snobs....I know they would prefer some nice chocolates over a cheap bottle of wine, so I would avoid that of I was in your position.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaliyahsmummy View Post
    I'd go chocolates or your lemonade....all my grandpa's doctor friends (and rich friends in general lol) are massive wine snobs....I know they would prefer some nice chocolates over a cheap bottle of wine, so I would avoid that of I was in your position.
    That was my thinking too. When I picked up DS from their place after he had a play date there once (she babysat DS for me for a couple of hours), she gave me a glass of red wine from a winery. OMG it was so nice, there's no way my $20 - $30 could get anything nearly that yummy so that's just not an option. I'm going to start making the cordial right now, the lemons have been sitting on the bench staring at me for days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm back from the party. I made the cordial and bought chocolates from Haigh's too, and was happy with my choice (and my friend's husband was stoked too by the looks). I only stayed two hours, didn't want to leave DD too long as she was being babysat and didn't sleep for them. It was the type of party where you walk in there knowing nobody and I don't know about you, but at first I just want to turn around and run out the front door in that situation! But I sucked it up and started talking to some people and had a few interesting conversations. My friend's husband is a surgeon, so pretty much everyone there was either a surgeon, doctor, nurse or the like (even their spouses, they all must marry within the field), so it was pretty intimidating, but my friend's MIL was lovely (she's a nurse, lol) and because she'd had a few drinks she was sooo talkative and a bit of a character. It was good to get out of there though, kind of exhausting all that small talk when you don't know anyone there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I made your cordial today. Super yummy! And it made heaps. Thanks again for the recipe.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad it went ok.

Is that cook book the cooks companion, the one that's the size of a besser brick? That is the Holy grail of cook books for me, but i can never afford it.