+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When to stop demand feeding?

DS is 7.5 weeks old and demands a feed every time he wakes up, even if he's only been asleep for ten minutes (which is frustratingly typical of his day sleeps). I'm demand feeding him and relatively happy to do so, but a few people have told me "oh he's not due for a feed if he only fed an hour ago". My sister watches the clock and feeds her babies four-hourly.

Should I be starting to wean DS onto a routine so he's not being fed every time he wakes up? Atm he wakes and will cry, then scream until I feed him. I'm happy to do what's right by him but don't want to make a rod for my own back by letting him expect to be fed after every sleep, no matter how small.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    It's completely up to you. I still demand feed my son at 10 months, although I have night weaned him, so I guess I'm not technically demand feeding! If you are happy, keep doing it.

I think 7.5 weeks is still so very little, there's no need to worry about getting into a routine yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree, bub is far, far too young. My DD is 10m and in the last week I've just been starting to give the occasional 'not right now'. You're still establishing your supply and your bub has a fantastic instinct to get what they need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I demand fed till 15 months but next time I'll prob slow it down around 12 months...simply in order to get more solids into bub. But 7 weeks! No way would I have them on a feeding routine!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Well... I stopped breast demand feeding jasper at 2 years. I had to regulate his feeds at that age it was ridiculous.

I think you can have a sleep "routine" and feed on demand. At the moment my nearly 7 month old is still fed whenever she is hungry (or thirsty) but she has 2 sleeps approximately the same times each day.

But really my nearly 4 year old is still fed "on demand" - if ever hes hungry or thirsty he is given food or drink.

And Im 25 and i feed myself more-or-less on demand.

Goodluck! Its hard work. Breast feeding on demand does feed exactly like that - demanding - hang in there! It gets better!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I started to sometimes refuse a feed somewhere between 10 and 18 months with mine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    From 2 weeks of age I didn't feed bubs less than 3 hourly, otherwise she wasn't getting any good sleep. She continued feeding 3 hourly until 6 months or so and now will go 4 hourly ish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    8 wks is far far too early to worry about restricting feeds. Bm is food, drink, comfort and sleep inducer. I have a 4mth old now and every time she gets upset or whinges i first check her nappy and if clean - boob her. If it doubt - whip that boob out!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

captainscaptain  (05-10-2012),Ceili  (04-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the reassurance everyone. I had received so many comments about him not being due for a feed that I was starting to get paranoid! I have managed to resist giving him a dummy at this stage so he is probably using my boob as a dummy a lot of the time, but I have the time and it's ok with me

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you're right if he doesn't have a dummy he's probably using boob as a soother when he wakes up or can't get back to sleep, 8weeks is still vey very young and if it doesn't bother you keep going. I demand fed DD and she's 6 months now and she's got into a routine of her own so it worked for us. I'm not saying watching the clock and feeding at a certain time is wrong but I couldn't do it, keep following your instincts and ignore the pressure from others :-)