+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I suggested a boys name to DH when I was about 15 weeks pregnant. DH loved it so that was agreed upon. We went on to have a girl. We had 2 girls names picked, one chosen by each of us. While I was having contractions I suggested a name that hadnt been discussed before and when DD was born we went with the name suggested just hours before she was born. We hadnt written it down with the middle name or our surname. It is the perfect name for her. No other name would have suited her.

Second pregnancy we didnt even discuss boys names, we still loved the name we had chosen first time around. With girls names DH really wasnt helpful one little bit in choosing them and I had my heart set on a particular name. 3 weeks before baby was due DH decided he didnt like the name I had chosen (he thought it was too posh...it is a common, top 10 girls name, sooooo not posh). I told him to make suggestions but he never did. I gave him a list of 5 girls names that I loved but he never discussed them with me. When baby was born, another DD, DH said straight away her name is *insert top 10 girls name*. I dont think he even remembers saying he thought the name was too posh. He couldnt imagine her being called anything else now.

I do have a family member though who HATES his sons name. He and his both wife had a girls name chosen for their first child and couldn't agree on which name to use. When she was born the wife agreed on his name choice. When she was pregnant with their second child she told her husband that she would give him a list of names and he had to select from her list. He hated all 3 names on her list and in his words "chose the best of a bad bunch". He then went on to say "I suppose it will eventually grow on me".

I know that I would never insist upon my husband agreeing to a name he hated. If he did that to me, I dont know that I would ever get over it and it would always be in the back of my mind that I really dont like the name.
    Last edited by GirlsRock; 04-10-2012 at 21:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DH came up with all three of our childrens names and I loved them.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree that it has to be a joint decision, but one of you obviously has to come up with it, and if it's the same person twice and you both love it, then I don't think it matters.

I came up with both of our names and i'm pretty sure DH loved them straight away. If DH came up with a name that I loved, then I would be stoked to use it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was kind of a team effort. DP remembers that I suggested DD's name and he really liked it. I remember suggesting HUNDREDS of names and being surprised that he wanted that one. So by my reckoning he picked her name and I get to pick the name of the next one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Naming our boys was a joint effort. I think it's important that both parents like the name and agree on it. We also chose names that originated from our families heritage and the meaning of the names were important to us. And yes we love our boys names. We also wanted names that were relatively short that couldn't be shortened, I don't see why a person is named something then nicknamed something shorter than the original name. It irks me and happens to me with my name. And also we didn't want names that were too common.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 10-10-2012 at 08:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DH had a boys name he wanted to use right from the start when I was preg with DS (to the point where he would have used it as a nickname if we chose a different name). I wasn't too fussed on it to start with but then it grew on me, and DH hated all my name suggestions. We agreed we had to meet bub first though before commiting to a name. We used DH's name for DS, and it suits him to a t .

We're preg with #2 now and again DH has a boys name he wants to use (his grandfathers) but it's too common to use as a first name for me, so I would like to compromise and use it as a middle name. Only thing is we can't come up with any first names. I have a couple of family names I'd like to use for middle names for girls, but again no first names. We both just keep throwing names out there until one comes out we both like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I came up with my girls name .. He loved it and from then it was her name ( 6 months preg at a wedding in blue mountains)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I suggested DD's name before I was even pregnant and we both loved it straight away. There wasn't a second option if we changed our mind.
    We had two boy names picked and each liked both, but couldn't decide on one.. Lucky we had a girl!

For next time, we still like our two boy names, but I am.falling in love with another name more and more, but df isn't keen :/
    He has no girl name suggestions and I have a list of thirty or so, 5 of which are favourites... But still no definites.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We originally agreed on a name at 15 weeks (my choice) but at about 25 weeks he decided he didn't like it. We then decided on another name (my choice again) and at 30 weeks he decided he didn't like it so I told him to come up with a name that he loved. I decided to tweak the middle name a little bit (which I now regret as I tweaked it to a very common name and his suggestion was classic but still unique) but I love DD's name and it suits her beautifullly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH chose our first daughters name, I wasn't opposed to it so that was her name. I gave DH a list with our second daughter, I had a favourite, he picked the same one, that's her name. We had DS name picked out for if DD1 was a boy, and after going through loads of different names and lists we settled on it again for DS. I think I picked his name originally but its so long ago I can't remember.