+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Private OB in Public Hospital (Liverpool) - costs

Hello,

this is my first post

i will be 30 weeks pregnant tomorrow and we are due in december. Late in the pregnancy we decided that we would like to go with a private ob, at liverpool public hospital. A couple of weeks ago i registered at liverpool hospital and i was told to sign a form that states that i will be a self funded patient, i couldn't elect to be a public patient because i was going in under a private ob. I had to pay the three nights' hospital stay of $954 upfront.

I'm just a bit concerned about the big bill at the end of it all. I am aware that i will need to pay for ob out of hospital consultations with a small rebate from medicare, but i thought that hospital stay in a public hospital would be covered under medicare, and now i'm concerned about any other unforeseen costs that the hospital may charge us.

I will contact the hospital to clarify, but before i do, i just wanted to hear from others' experiences first so i have a better understanding of what to ask and expect.

Many thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Welcome to the forum.

I am also due in December, and am going to Sydney Southwest Private (Liverpool). I pay the $500.00 excess to the hospital upfront and am apparently covered.

My understanding of going as a private patient in a public hospital that you wouldv'e done the same if not similar.

Have you spoken to your private health insurer???

Also speak with your obstetrician. I'm with Dr Fulcher.

We also got to book in an appointment with the hospital to go and see the facility and book in for the birth, and they gave us a folder of all the information required, eg. payment required etc.

Sorry not really much help!!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BrookieR For This Useful Post:

Bay  (04-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies ladies. At this stage, any info at all is useful.

Things are just so different with a private ob and so much more expensive. For example, this time around i had to pay $167 for the diabetes test with an expectation of only $53 rebate from medicare, whereas when i had my son in 2010, i was a private patient in a public hospital but went with the team of midwives for my antenatal care and we didn't have to pay a cent for any visits, ultrasounds or tests etc.

Oh and brookier, our due dates are quite close i think. Mine is 14/15 dec, based on two u/s estimates ... I think i'll go with 14/12/12 edd though, i like the extra day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi there! I am due early-December and also with Dr Fulcher. I will be delivering at Liverpool Hospital as a private patient in shared accommodation.
    I've had all my ante-natal appointments at Dr Fulcher's (not at the hospital) but have had 1 appointment with a midwife at Liverpool Hospital to get my paper work in order, do a quick check-up (no ultrasound) and talk through my 'birth plan'.
    As far as costs, I've paid the OB directly but I saved a couple of the other out-of-pocket receipts (ultrasounds, NT scan/bloods) so that when I went to medicare it brought me straight over the medicare safety net threshold.
    At Liverpool Hospital, I just had to pay my PHI excess of $250, nothing else.
    Having the medicare rebate has helped but still quite a bit of money spent in total .. still yet to pay my GT test I got billed for!
    Hope that helps a little, and good luck with the pregnancy xx

7. The Following User Says Thank You to leensgal For This Useful Post:

Bay  (23-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your input leensgal. Any info/advice is always welcome

i've since spoken with my health insurer and they confirmed i can get most of my hospital stay reimbursed from them (bar $500 excess). It's reassuring to know that they also cover other hospital costs should i need it, like theatre fees. Hopefully i will have a vaginal birth and won't need that.

I have to say our medicare and private health insurance system is quite complex. It's taken a while for me to wrap my head around it.

Are you going to medicare with the invoices as you get them or save them and do it in one go after the birth?

Our due dates are also quite close. It would be funny if we end up in the same room. Good luck with your pregnancy and labour too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey I'm new to all this I'm 7 weeks pregnant

Im booked in 2 weeks to see dr Ian fulcher is he a good ob
    wiil I b happy with him everyone says his expensive???????

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi mamas! I didn't quite make it to December as my baby girl decided to arrive 11.11.12!

RonNie- I highly recommend Dr Fulcher. I found him always very informative and genuinely pleasant. although in saying that, he wasn't actually there to deliver my baby as he was off that weekend! Dr Hamill was there to cover his patients, but he too didn't make it back to my birthing suite until bubs head was already out! My mw, Belinda, from liverpool public was absolutely fantastic. Even though I didn't have either of the OB's at showtime I would still opt for an OB next time as I found the antenatal care extremely reassuring all the best! xx

11. The Following User Says Thank You to leensgal For This Useful Post:

RonNie  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh and Bay, I ended up querying for a private patient stay and was told $780 for 3 nights. I didn't end up paying this as was in a double room anyway and hardly had to share. I was in hospital for a week coz bub had jaundice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Leensgal congratulations!

My baby decided he didn't want to be a December baby either and was born on 30th nov.

The day i went into labour was the day my ob went on holidays (at week 38), but his backup did make it on time ... As soon as he broke my waters, baby was born in 3 pushes. I have to say the midwives in both the delivery and maternity ward were excellent. I just cannot fault them.

i had a normal delivery so didn't pay anything further besides the delivery (which was covered by medicare and phi). And apparently i will be getting the $954 for 3 nights' shared accomodation hospital stay i paid refunded as i can claim it on my phi.
    Last edited by Bay; 02-01-2013 at 08:39.