+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is my 2 y/o ready?

So my daughter is 2 and i have been thinking about toilet training for a little while now (yet procrastinating immensely), about 2 months ago she was telling me before she did a poo, then that stopped. Now she take her nappy off whenever she can.

I have 4 month old twins as well and having a nudie 2 year old with poo everywhere while I'm breastfeeding 2 babies is quite hard, so i'm eager to get her toliet trained. I also return to work in Feb so i would love it done before then.

However i'm now not so sure she is ready, whenever i suggest to sit on her potty she says 'NO!!" and cries, however she does sit on it when watching TV.

I've put her in knickers today so she can start feeling when she's doing a wee, but its hard chasing her around with two babies that need me to.

anyway sorry about the long post - if you have any ideas or suggestions please let me know, or if you think it would just be easier to wait.

Thanks Chelsea

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I havent actually reached TT yet but been talking about it to a lot of friends and one said her son acted similar with the potty and it was because it was uncomfortable. They got him a padded toilet seat thing and he started using it straight away! So that might be worth a try. Good Luck. If you have success please let me know, I'll be TT in a few months

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't help you but can relate - DS has just turned 2 and has started taking his nappy off too, and is happy to sit on the potty when I ask him if he needs to. But then he keeps getting up, moving the potty around, and no actual 'toiletting' going on. It's all fun and games!

Maybe the first step for them is to get the feel for it, get used to the idea... Who knows but I'm as keen as you to find the answers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are her overnight nappies really wet? I've found with mine, that they naturally start to hold back the peeing overnight and that signals a readiness to use the toilet. My almost 3yo was completely out of nappies (night and day) by 2yrs and 5 months.

Here's how it happened for her. I bought the potty and told her what it was for, and regularly asked if she needed to go. Sometimes she would, sometimes she wouldn't. When she did I went overboard with the praise, telling her we'd tell Daddy and her brothers and sister and she was very obviously proud. When she didn't go, I didn't make a big deal of it. Also, I purposefully left the nappy off, regularly reminding her she had no nappy and she would need to let me know if she needed to go. Sometimes, if I was mostly at home, I would leave it off all day, with gentle regular reminders about the "no nappy". Also, I would let her just wee on the grass outside if it was quicker and easier. No big deal.

I think it was only several weeks of this - then I noticed that 2 out of 3 nights her nappy would be almost, or completely dry in the morning, so one night I just said she was such a big girl, I was so proud, bla bla, and that she could obviously sleep all night without needing the nappy. And that's how quick it was. I would put her on the toilet before bed, reminded her as she went to sleep that she had no nappy, and it's worked. I did tell her to call for me during the night if she has to go, and she did that a few times, but after a few nights, that stopped too.

So we've had several months of not one nappy. Yahoo. It is a good feeling.

Mine were all a little different with their timing. #1 was 3 before he was completely out of bappies. #2 2 years, 4 months #3 can't remember. #4 about 3 and this one 2 years 5 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh you do have your hands full!

It's up to you if you want to persist as I think she sounds like she is ready (& perhaps what soccer mum said, try something different than a potty - my boys didn't use a potty at all just the small toilet seat).

But you need to be ready too! It also means when you are out and about you need to be ready to take her to the loo etc with your twins, and changing accidents and so on. TT is never fun (well, it wasn't for me) and DS1 wasn't ready until he was 3yrs. DS2 was over 4yrs.

You can always try & if she loses interest or it's getting to hard for YOU then try again in a couple of months. I read somewhere it takes about 21 days for a toddler to unlearn anything you tried but want them to forget!

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm waiting for it to warm up before properly tt dd.... But we have been getting her used to the potty/toilet by sitting her on it while the bath is run/shower set up.

Potty was a no go, do we tried one of the plastic seats you put on the normal toilet and have had a couple of wees so far!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have just toilet trained my dd who is almost 23 months. I knew she was ready because when she did a wee in her nappy she would take the nappy off- she must have realized it was uncomfortable! We started by not putting a nappy on her during the day, just undies or she would run around nakie. The first 2 days she had a couple of accidents but since then all wees/poos have been in the right place. I then got sick of cleaning the potty every time she used it so now she just uses a toilet insert.

The first time she used the potty for a poo and saw what came out she got very scared but now she just gets excited!

Good luck it can be tricky but is well worth it