+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default New to IVF - questions?

Hello

I have my first appointment with a new FS next Thursday and I want to go straight to IVF as IUI and clomid treatment in the past has not worked for me.

My PHI kicks in the day of the appointment (hospital only cover) so would like to start on IVF straight away, however I know the FS is the expert and will know what is best but I am just wondering if as a paitent I can say I want IVF instead of IUI?

What are some other questions I need to be asking at my appointment, and what can I expect to happen or have him tell me?

Im really REALLY nervous about this appointment so any info you can give me would be great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi - I would hope that a new FS would see your past attempts and move you straight onto IVF. If you feel that is what you want to do, I'd just go in there and say you feel you've exhausted your non-IVF options and would like to move forward with IVF immediately so as not to waste anymore time and money. What is your diagnosis?

Depending on how old your test results are from your previous FS, your new FS may want to repeat some of them. He/she may also want to do investigative surgery (laparoscopy/hysteroscopy) to see if there are more reasons you have not been able to conceive yet.

With the PHI, I have hospital only cover aswell. The only IVF related thing they cover for me is the cost of the day surgery for egg retrieval (which is great, saves me about $1100). As it's hospital only I can't claim any of the cycle payment or meds back (other than what I get back from Medicare).

The best advice I could give is that if you feel ready for the next treatment step you shouldn't be afraid to push for it. FS's don't know everything! I wish I had followed my gut feeling and been more assertive about my treatment long ago. All the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi bella

Thank you for replying.

I have an underactive pituitary gland so do not produced enough FSH on my own to ovulate. Injectables such as Puregon have rectified this for me but coupled with IUI still didnt get me pregnant.

The tests are 12 months old. I have already had my investigative surgery and everything was clear, there is nothing they can find wrong with me other then the lack of FSH and my DH's SA is perfect so no issues there.

My feeling/thoughts are, I just want my baby, ive been waiting 5 years and im not waiting anymore, IUI might work for us eventually but im done waiting. Hopefully he listens to me

matalee is offline The greater the fight, the greater the victory
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    I had all my tests performed by one fs & did iui with injectables with her. Then had a break from medicated fertility help & went to another fs almost 5 years later. All our previous tests were taken into account. The only thing my new fs asked was for DH to do another SA & I asked for a uterine biopsy (think that's what it was called). We had to wait a few cycles for other reasons so I went on clomid because I was sick of wasting time but he was happy to move straight to ivf when all was ready.
    HTH