+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Stretch & Sweep???

Just wondering if any of you got a stretch and sweet and was it painful? Also another question, do any of you know if doc's will do a stretch and sweep prior to 40 weeks?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had one and it was just uncomfortable. They might do one before 40 weeks if there's a good reason and if you're favourable. An S&S won't do anything unless your body is ready to go into labour anyway. I had mine at my 40 wk appointment as my blood pressure had sky rocketed. I had an internal and was very favourable so my midwife offered one. Went into labour 6 hours later.
    Last edited by GreenMama; 04-10-2012 at 10:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok thanks Green Mama, well my blood pressure and all else is ok for the moment, just getting alot of pains and tightenings but nothing arising from that...I am 3 hrs away from the hospital so was thinking maybe I'll give one a try so if it does work I'll know when things are progressing if that makes any sense

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had S&S's with both pregnancies and I found them very uncomfortable. I had 3 with DS2 and the last one was very painful. I told the OB that he may as well have just pulled the baby out! He really gave it a good old go. But in saying that I went into labour that night, so I guess it worked.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Angiebear74 For This Useful Post:

Blondi83  (04-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a S&S with all 3 pg's, and it was uncomfortable but not painful.

If your cervix is soft/ripe it shouldn't hurt. If it isn't, there is more chance it might. I had it done when DS1 was 39 weeks & I was 1cm dilated (went into labour that same day). With DS2 I was also 39 wks & I went into labour 4 days later. With DD I was 39+ wks and went into labour 3 days later.

Basically, if your body & baby are not ready to go into labour a S&S may not achieve anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had two done with my 3rd. One at 38wks and another at 39wks. The first one did nothing but make me lose mucus stuff for four days and the one at 39wks, well I went into labour that night, had him the next morning, about 16hrs after the S&S. I had both mine done because I was in incredible pain from SPD and had an induction booked if that 2nd one hadn't worked. They weren't painful, not uncomfortable more just odd feeling. Bubs felt like he moved down a bit but actually he didn't at all.