+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help needed - dummy addict.

Hi everyone.

Hellllpppppp!!! I am trying to wean my 21 month old dummy addict off the dummy. He has so far cried for 1.5 hours without stopping and it's not even nap time yet!!
    I am loathe to take them off him for sleeps as he normally naps for at least 2 hours and 12 hours overnight. But I will do that if that is what you guys suggest. I am just sick of seeing him walking around during the day with it hanging out of his mouth. I am also concerned it is stopping him from trying to speak. He only has a handful of words.
    Many suggestions as to how to break the habit, and survive. :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Im not sure what age they would be able to understand but if your bubba does maybe use dummies as currency. Take them to the toy shop and get bubba (sorry i can't see if ds or dd in my reply) to pick a toy and say they have to pay for it with dummies.. Maybe do this with half of them and in a week go back and do it again until dummies all sold for the toy and when they cry for dummy remind them how they bought their toys with dummy money.

Someone told that to me a while ago and i thought it was a great idea. just need to be old enough yo understand they are buying something with dummy money
    Might make it a bit easier..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pisang For This Useful Post:

Lewbaby  (04-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I heard a trick which involves making a small hole in it, and gradually increasing the size of it over a few days. Apparently they will eventually stop wanting it!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Lewbaby  (04-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Something really clever I heard was someone tying their bubs dummy to a really oversized stuffed toy (like a big bear) which forced the child to constantly hold the toy if they wanted to suck the dummy. Eventually the child tired of carrying the toy and not being able to play with both hands so they gradually stopped using the dummy.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RaiensDreaming For This Useful Post:

Lewbaby  (04-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just threw it out and said its in the bin because dummies are for babies, not big kids. I tried only letting them have it to sleep but it never seemed to happen, I didn't have the willpower to restrict them when they cried etc. there were tears for a day or so but they got over it pretty quickly.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Lewbaby  (04-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the advice and ideas everyone!
    After a horrible morning, he seems to be sleeping through! Woohoo! Ended up going with the cold turkey approach. We put them in the bin together. Hopefully he keeps this up.