+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Have you been to school after hours?

So, I'd like to be able to walk my son around his new schools school grounds whilst noone is there(so it feels more familiar for him for when he starts next year) ... Reckon I'd get into trouble?

I remember when we were kids we'd go to the school grounds and play, but that was mainly just the oval or tennis courts.... Plus, times have changed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not sure on your actual question, but do they have a school fete or musical or anything like that on before he starts? I took DD (who starts next year) to the fete and open day this year and last year because I was thinking same thing, it would be good if its familiar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i used their playground during summer hols once because it had shade!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP at my school where I teach we put messages in our newsletter about parents calling school security if they see anyone on the grounds during the holidays. In saying that we've had problems in the past with people getting in and smashing windows etc. More than likely you would only be able to access the playground and the main areas would probably be gated.

If you want to take him in why not find out what the school times are and ask if you can have a walk through during class time. That way you could have a look around and you'd only see a few students at the most.

Good luck to your little one starting school I'm in the same boat with my DS!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yes because we have to do ASC pickup. I think if you really want to do a walk around out of school hours, about an hour after school finishes would work well. Depending whether the school has ASC, there will always be someone there but they won't interrupt you just looking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our school is completely locked up after hours and on weekends. We have after school care, only one gate is left open and anyone who doesn't belong at the school isn't really welcome without anyone knowing who they are (to ensure safetu of the kids at the school). Just contact the school and they'll set up a time for you to go throuh the school during school hours, when class is on so you won't see many kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Most schools are locked up out of school hours these days so it might not be possible.
    You'd be best to call the school and ask if they can suggest an appropriate time

Thanks
    Reviews
    If its a public school the ground are actually public property so you can go enjoy them out of hours.

Usually though schools will do a orientation towards the end of the year having the kids come in for a hour or two once a week to get them used to the school, meet the teachers and meet the other students.

I did this with DD and she had no problem when she started prep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks guys, because of his Aspergers Dx he will be on a transition plan and will get to visit a couple extra times as well as orientation day. I'm sure he'll be fine. I just thought the more comfortable and familiar he is the better :-)

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Just ask the principal

When we first moved out here we lived miles from anywhere, I asked the little two-teacher school principal if it was okay if I brought the boys down to the school to use the playground on the weekend. He said it was fine