+ Reply to Thread
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Should i drop the day nap?

DS is 19 months old and naps once a day. For the past week its been difficult getting him to nap, he'll cry and struggle for a long time before falling asleep for only 30 minutes!
    He wakes up 6:45 now in the morning, before was like 7:30! And goes to sleep at 7:30pm but he would whinge a bit in his sleep through out the night.
    Then yesterday he went to DHs sisters place to play with the kids, running around all day, no day sleep, and went to bed at 8pm! And he had the best night sleep ever! And woke up at 7am all happy.
    It makes me wonder maybe i should drop the day nap or just not force it? If hes tired he'll fall asleep somehow if he doesnt want to just leave it?

He seems like he is letting you know that he doesnt need it. Maybe on days that he is just home with you he will want a nap but on days when he is kept really busy I wouldnt bother. You dont want him getting a negative association with bedtime. Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rachel27 For This Useful Post:

tubster  (05-10-2012)

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There is an 18 month sleep regression where they resist their day sleep - if you perservere and push through they go back to sleeping with no hassles. If he is still going to bed at a decent time i would keep it up - but it's totally up to you.

My DS is 20 months and still has a day sleep most days, but is fine without it - and he doesn't go to bed till 9pm when he's had a day sleep. I could definitely drop it but value it way too much - esp being pregnant.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

tubster  (05-10-2012)

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Since he is only 19 months I would keep offering it to him. If he doesn't want it then don't fuss, but try. Sometimes kids go through a period of not napping then get back into it again when the next growth spurt kicks in.

With my kids, I knew nap time was up when they took forever to get to sleep at nap time AND if they did nap, they would still be awake at 10pm at night. Then I stopped the nap & I would put them to bed at like 5pm and they would wake about 6-7am. It's a tricky transition that they take a while to adjust to, so may need the odd nap every second or third day in the process.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 2made3 For This Useful Post:

tubster  (05-10-2012)