+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Anyone studying through OUA

Hi i'm just wondering if anyone is studying through open university austalia.

I am looking for study a bachelor of primary education and just want to make sure they are an alright provider. any information about the uni would be great

thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was and I didn't like it.

The teacher was never around to ask questions and went on 2 weeks holidays when we had assignments due. Plus there was a service to submit your essay to get tips and the tips given were wrong.

For $23,000 I was not impressed at all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~BEXTER~ View Post
    I was and I didn't like it.

The teacher was never around to ask questions and went on 2 weeks holidays when we had assignments due. Plus there was a service to submit your essay to get tips and the tips given were wrong.

For $23,000 I was not impressed at all!
    Oh wow thanks for that. Were you doing Education as well? I'm not liking the sound of that which is why i wanted to find out if anyone had been through there give me a better idea of what it's all about. It's a lot of money to spend if the service isn't up to scratch

Thanks
    Reviews
    A girl I know has just finished through Charles Darwin, she was doing education and said it was good.... Maybe check that out?

Dh and his sister studied through oua and had no issues though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You will not be studying through OUA. OUa just helps do the paperwork. You will be studying with curtin university to do the education degree. I study through oua and have done electives with various unis through it. some are better than others. Curtins alright. At the end of the day if you cant study on campus its great

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that I was wondering exactly how OUA worked. I knew that i went through Cutin but wasn't sure what happened really. Thanks for that. I definitely don't want to be studying on campus as i'm hoping to keep my girls at home with me. Was planning on studying at night and on the weekend when their dad can keep them amused.

Did you find it hard with your Uni being in a different state and do you know if the degree you achieve can be used in other states as it's pretty pointless to me if i can't be used all over aus as i'm in qld

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not doing the primary degree, but I know people all over aust are. When you complete the degree I think it just means you have to apply to Queensland teachers something or other . The only downside to studying in other states for that degree is you have to find your own practical placements. If you live in Perth they find them for you. My uni (swinburne) is in Vic and im in QLD and had no issues. The online libraries are great, they have discussion boards like this forum to interact with students/ teachers, than students form facebook groups etc for interaction

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and the good thing about the education degree is there are no exams. if you do have to sit an exam for an elective, you allocate the nearest venue to sit at. Eg theres one on gold coast, Brisbane, sunshine coast etc. If you are in brissie its usually at eagle farm racecourse

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was studying a Bachelor of Education (Primary) through OUA/Curtin and found they weren't very supportive. The teacher was never on the forums, it tooks days and sometimes even weeks for a question to be answered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    HI, I am in my 2nd year studying B bachelor of Technology and while the the provider Universities have their issues with lack of attention to students, if you are dedicated and put in the work you will benefit. The issue is when dealing with OUA as they appear to employee young students who offer advise on areas they have no knowledge. OUA called me about 1 year into study and said I would be much better off financially by moving from Fee Help to HECS (CSP). They ran me through the process and converted me over. In the process I was withdrawn from my subjects, including the 2 subjects I was 7 weeks into. Not only did they deny responsibility they want me to pay for the subject again and have to resit the units which costs me another 3 months of my life. I recently discovered the Fee Help issue when my accountant asked what I was doing. I work full time in the industry I am studying so under Fee Help I can claim education expenses against tax, under HECS this is not the case. When moving me back to Fee Help they have re enrolled me again and left me trying to get back into Semester 2, otherwise I will lose another 3 months. OUA need to be more transparent and be taught customer service skills. I would definitely go with another provider if I were you.