+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advice please

I want to start trying for my first baby hopefully in December of this year however I am on Topamax (Topirimate) for migraines and I know this is not recommended for pregnancy or breast feeding. Has anyone here been on this medication and had to to come of it? can they share there experiences I am going to see my neurologist as they will have to be the ones to ween me of the medication I am wondering if should also see an ob/gyn for this as well.

Also and this is a different issue my partner and I have postponed our wedding for 7 months from July 2013 to March 2014 due to financial reasons we recently bought a house and the repayments come first before a wedding we are committed to each other and really want to start our family so decided to start regardless of when the wedding was since making this decision I have been getting some negative reactions. Mostly people saying why did he ask you to marry him if your not going to get married or "you'll have the baby and never get married". It sounds silly but some comments are hurtful. Any advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Dragonsnurse, I don't have any advice on the medication I'm sorry but u sound like ur on the right track by seeing a doctor about the best way to go about it.

Some people really don't realise how hurtful their comments can be sometimes, trust me!! I think u've got to do what feels right for u guys & don't worry about what others think. I've had a few friends who have been engaged & had kids first. All of them have been married within 1-2 years after & their weddings were lovely with their kids included in it they also had people saying they would never get married etc once they had kids. It was important to them, so they made it happen When the time was right for them

Good luck with it all! I know it's hard but don't listen to what others may say....unless its positive of course! remember to do what's right for u guys & I hope that ila bub happens soon for u!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rocky27 For This Useful Post:

Dragonsnurse  (03-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    With regard to the wedding - don't listen to them! We also did things backwards and delayed our wedding due to finances and had a baby first. Guess what - we DID get married in April this year when our baby was 9 months old. Just do what is right for you guys and ignore the rest.

With regard to your migraines - I also suffer from very severe migraines. Whilst I am not on the same medication as you, I think the best thing is to speak to your doctor.

One thing I will say is that my migraines became even more frequent during my pregnancy, especially in the first 5 months or so. My husband is a doctor and we weighed up the risks of certain medications against potential harm to the baby. We decided to use nurofen plus (with the codeine). When I would get a migraine (I lose vision and cannot stop vomiting) I would take 3 nurofen plus's and 3 regular panadol at the very onset and hope that they had time to kick in before I started vomiting. I must say that they worked very well with dealing with my migraines and I gave birth to a perfectly healthy baby boy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mumsical For This Useful Post:

Dragonsnurse  (03-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I know this is old but op im after the same answers about topamax.. I posted a question but no one has responded..
    Can you please tell me or pm me me and tell me how you went weaning off topamax to ttc? Or did you end up staying on it while ttc and pregnant?
    Im on 25mg twice a day at the moment and we are holding off ttc until im past these migraines but if it wasnt for them I would already be pregnant.. I think im stressing nyself even more holding off and worrying i will get older and older before number 2 because of these meds...

I hope everything went well for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi kym85 I was on 150mg a day and weened off at 25mg every three weeks with no issues I'm now in early pregnancy so I can at least assure you that it doesn't affect conception. My migraines were atypical more epilepsy like and stress induced things had calmed down so that may be why I had an easy time coming off I am being closely monitored by my Husband for any symptoms though and my GP asks about it every visit.
    While all my doctors said it was a good idea to come off the topomax my neurologist originally put me on it because it was considered safer for pregnancy and women of child bearing age you might find it helpful to talk to a neurologist about it, they might know of some alternatives.
    I wish you all the luck in the world try not to stress too much I know that's what made my episodes worse. Feel free to pm me or email dragonsnurse1@gmail.com if I can help further or if this isn't all that clear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for your reply. I know. . Stressing makes it worse but I cant help it. I can feel an episode come over me when I think and worry about it too much. . Im hoping to go up another 25mg morn and night when I see my doc again in 3 weeks.. it is seeming to be my wonder drug though. Its been nearly 2 years of suffering and finally on a medication that is working. I was previously put on anti depressants which is what my previous doc thought it was augh!! So happy now.
    Thank you. Congratulations on your pregnancy!