+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advice needed please

Hi everyone!

My baby is 7 months old now. I have been breastfeeding and bed sharing from the day she was born. Now I would like to start slowly moving her into her own cot, which will be next to my bed. And I also would like to try to stop night time feeding or at least reduce it to once per night comparing to 2 to 3 times at the moment.

Did anyone use a method to how to move the baby into cot and would they be able to share it with me? I’ve tried to put her to sleep in her cot a few times and she would really get upset and sometimes it would take me up to 2 hours to settle her. And I do let her play in the cot during the day so she is familiar with it.

Regarding the night time feeding I’ve been reading some books and most of them suggest to breastfeed but not to let the baby fall asleep on the breast, so the baby stops associating sleep with breastfeeding. My DD is obviously used to falling asleep while she is breastfeeding but a lot of times she actually falls asleep on her own. For example sometimes I feed her in the middle of the night and she doesn’t fall asleep straightaway so I just let her lie in bed next to me and go back to sleep. When I wake up an hour later or so I find her being in deep sleep. I also keep an eye on her on the video monitor during her day naps. Sometimes (not all the time) she wakes up after 30 to 45 minutes and starts moving around. I don’t go to her straightaway and just wait and sometimes after like 10 – 15 minutes of moving around she goes back to sleep on her own!
    So I was thinking if she CAN fall asleep on her own, why does she still wakes up several times at night? I don’t think she is really hungry. It’s so confusing. Most of the time she only goes to sleep when I put her on the breast. But then there are the other times like I told before.

So I don’t know if all this sounds confusing, but if anyone has got an advice on how I can slowly achieve my goals please share it with me.
    Thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think the book The No Cry Sleep Solution (NCSS) would help you develop a plan.

Lots of babies still feed multiple times over night at 7 months, and it is easier to wait until baby is ready to try to drop feeds but the NCSS can help start the process of change, and help you see if your baby is ready or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. I should get the book.

Do you know how many night feeds are normal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For a 7 month old one or two feeds is 'normal', especially for a breastfed baby.

Not sure how to help with the bed transition though sorry.

My DD has just turned 7 months and is FF and wakes twice a night for feeds. It's fine for me to get up to her twice (yeah never would be great) bit I'm waiting till she is ready to drop a feed as I'm not up for creating any sleep struggles where it's not yet necessary.

Good luck!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. DD has 2 to 3 night feeds at the moment. I hope she will drop one soon. Because I am breastfeeding to sleep people tell me that she will never sleep on her own and that she only wakes up f

Thanks
    Reviews
    (Sorry) ...for comfort. And at 7 months she supposed to sleep through apparently. It's good to know that some babies still need a feed or two.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 8.5 month old wakes for feeds overnight 2-5 times. There really is no one answer about how many feeds or how many wakenings cos all kids are different.

The ABA has some good articles you might get some info from

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-info/sleep/wakeful

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-...breastfed-baby

At 8 months, half of all babies still need help to get back to sleep. So your little one is well in the realms of 'normality'.

Are you worried about your little one's sleep for you, or for comments from other people?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the links.

I am not really worried what people say. But because so many (also a few books) told me that baby should sleep through the night by now, I thought that this is normal. But I am glad that it's not. At least it explains why mine still wakes up regularly. I was confused because I thought that I created a bad habit by breastfeeding her to sleep. Well thank you again for the links. Can't wait to read them when baby is asleep tonight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 7 month old was waking once a night for a BF from 5 weeks or there abouts, then around 5 months started waking twice a night, which she is still doing now at 7 months old - BF and 3 solid feeds a day. I hope she drops back to one or none soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD has 3 solid meals as well (plus BF). Mainly 2 tbs rice cereal in the morning, 2 tbs veggies or fruit in the afternoon and in the evening. I'm not sure if this is enough. How much solid food does your baby have?

I just don't know if DD wakes up because she is hungry or not.