+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Revealing Baby Gender Vent

I'm feeling a bit annoyed today. We found out our first babies gender a few weeks ago and told only those closet to us with the specific request that they not share it around. Obviously everyone will find out when the baby arrives anyway, and it's not a huge problem but we just wanted to keep it to ourselves. Anyway someone's obviously let it slip because people have been talking to me about it like it's common knowledge. It just annoys me, why do people feel like its their right to share personal info when it comes to someone else's pregnancy! I guess I've learnt my lesson for next time around..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree! Totally annoying but at the end of the day those closest to you are just excited about it all. I'm sure there was no malice intended

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That would absolutely p!ss me off!!! Would probably trigger a fb rant too lol....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can see why you'd be frustrated but I think with these things if you really want it to be a secret you need to keep it between yourselves. People just get excited and do the "dont tell anyone but..." and once a couple of people have done that then its out.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

River Song  (03-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately the more people who know "a secret" the more likely it is that whatever the "secret" is will get out. People often don't do it maliciously, more often than not it just slips out - they're aware of your babies sex and so when they talk about it amongst others it's natural to refer to your baby as a "he" or "she". It's at the front of their mind.

We chose our babies name months ago (around the time we first found out I was pregnant lol). We made the decision to tell our parents and siblings but I did so knowing that someone would probably slip up. I was right - my hubby, so used to referring to our little man by name at home just naturally used it in reference to him at work one day. *shrugs* oh well!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a similar situation though slightly different, I found out I was pregnant extremely early; I was only about 3 weeks and 6 days. We told our parents & siblings immediately, but told them because it was still so so so early, we weren't going to tell anyone else for a while. We told our parents that we'd probably tell the extended family at 8 weeks, then friends/work/Facebook at 12 weeks. Understandably my mum was excited, and respected my wishes about not telling family yet, but went and told one of her friends who I've met maybe 10 times in my life. I was dissappointed because I have no relationship with this woman, yet she knew I was pregnant before my favourite Aunty or close friends knew... I'm over it now but it is so frustrating when people just don't understand that they're special to you which is why they're being let in on the secret, but that you don't want anyone else to know yet!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Thanks for all the replies! I get that no one would've spread the news maliciously and that they're probably just excited, and I'm not so massively annoyed that I'm going to make a big thing out of it. But it's just like JR03 said, I told them because they're special to me, but the people they told aren't, in fact some are distant relatives that I really dislike because they are malicious which is why I didn't tell them in the first place.

I think im just finding it hard to deal with the attitude of others towards pregnancy, like suddenly everythings off limits and people think its okay to share your private info, ask personal questions, give unwanted advice and just generally invade your space I'll get over it though, thanks for the replies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by WineTime View Post
    I can see why you'd be frustrated but I think with these things if you really want it to be a secret you need to keep it between yourselves. People just get excited and do the "dont tell anyone but..." and once a couple of people have done that then its out.
    I disagree. If you specifically ask people not to blab and they do, that is out of line. If anyone comes up to you and mentions the gender I'd ask how they found out. And I would let the blabber mouth know I wasn't impressed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I disagree. If you specifically ask people not to blab and they do, that is out of line. If anyone comes up to you and mentions the gender I'd ask how they found out. And I would let the blabber mouth know I wasn't impressed.
    I dont doubt that you would.