+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Tips for a positive induction (and birth plan for induction)

Looks like I'm probably going to be induced - all my independent research and advice from drs seems to indicate that dependent on my scan results next induction is the best thing for bubs so I am slowly getting my head around it.

I am wondering what tips ppl have for a positive induction, in particular what pain management techniques you used and if you successfully avoided an epi. Also, what others things you did during labour/immediately post labour to make the birth as natural as possible and try to ensure bub's is set up with the best possible chance of successfull breastfeeding.

(to briefly explain, baby has severe kidney problems in one kidney and to stop it detrioriting and causing permenent damage induction is likely. Post birth an op will be considered after 2 weeks (either to repair or remove kidney) but the sooner he is out the less kidney damage their will be for him to 'reverse' adn the less impact on the hypmothamus).

Another really key thing that will help his kidney recover will be breastfeeding so I am even more determined to do this successfully.

Aside from that, I had planned a natural physiological birth - labouring at home as long as possible, using hypnobabies/relaxtion techniques, active labour/fit ball/bath etc, no continual monitoring, no intervention for 3rd stage etc etc.

Now I am trying to find a new POV that will allow me to still achieve as many of these things as possible while working with the induction that now seems the best option for me.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you have to be moniterd ask for mobile monitering so you can move around. If on the drip ask them to start slow and slowly increase the amout. Good luck with it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Hi I was semi-induced with DS - I went into hospital as I was bleeding, they discovered that I was 3 cm, gave me 24 hours to get things happening, and then broke my waters, and then put me on the drip. 8 hours after my waters were broken, and 4 hours after I was put on the drip, DS was in my arms.

I kept very active. As soon as I realised that I wasn't going home until DS had been born, DH and I walked and walked and walked. Up and down hospital corridors, up and down stairs. Once my waters had been broken we continued doing that, we even had a lovely walk around the entire block of the hospital. And then even once I was on the drip we kept it up, although by that stage we were just doing laps of the birthing suite.

Once things got going, I kneeled on the bed. I was on CFM at this point but it didn't affect what I was doing. I stayed upright until it was time to push, and I think that really helped.

I did have pethidine (tried the gas, didn't like it - too much work for me) and that helped. I found the most difficult thing about the induction was that the contractions ramped up pretty quickly and I wasn't getting enough time to rest. The pethidine helped with that and I did it without an epi.

I loved my birth, although I did (and still do) struggle a bit with the fact that I didn't get to labour at home, it really was a great experience. So yeah, keep active, follow what your body is telling you, and best of luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (03-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I just wanted to add that I'm sorry to hear of your baby boy's kidney problems. I hope everything goes well with him.
    Last edited by Hamilicious; 03-10-2012 at 14:34.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (03-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Sorry, totally spamming your post. Just re-read your question about breastfeeding. Before I agreed to have a shot of pethidine, I was checked and was 4cm. According to the midwife, I still had ages to go so I was happy to have the pethidine. If I'd been much further along, I probably would have tried to stick with the gas, as if pethidine is given less than two hours before bub is born, they might need a bit of help breathing or have trouble breastfeeding. As it turned out, I progressed pretty quickly and DS was born 2 hours later, with absolutely no issues at all. He was delivered straight onto my chest and had a feed within the hour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was induced with both of my kiddies. First time around I hadn't slept for 24 hours before I went into active labour and as I'm allergic to morphine & pethidine I went for an epidural pretty much straight away.

Second time around I didn't want to be induced, but due to lots of reasons I was induced again. Unfortunately I needed gel again and again it didn't start labour so I was in hospital for 24 hours before my waters were broken. I did manage to stay quite active during that time (I had a lot of pain from the gel) and thanks to a long relaxing bath before bed I managed some sleep before my waters were broken the next morning. The midwives were very supportive of me being up & about as much as I wanted. I had intermittent monitoring and was allowed a shower and whatever I wanted to do after my waters were broken. I had to have 20 - 30 minutes of continuous monitoring to start with, then I could move around. But within 2 hours I was in agony and I asked for an epidural. I got a great epidural an hour later and at that point I was kept in bed but I didn't mind. Bubs was born 3 hours later and I was up within an hour and in the shower. It was a great induction really.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Are you taking a doula Hun?

Busy-Bee is online now Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    If it's possible can you ask to have the syntocin dose small to start with so the contractions mirror more likely a spontaneous labour? I would imagine that that way you have more chance of having an active labour.

Best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Firstly and most importantly get in the mind set that inductions can be a wonderful experience.

2 of mine were my easiest,shorter and least painful birth.

I breastfed all my bubs and all of them took to it very well. The inductions didn't make any difference.
    In my first birth i had gas and pethidine (19 years ago) and with my 2 nd induction just the gas (so i could bit on the mouth piece)

i am happy to chat or answer any questions you have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just want to wish you and your little boy all the luck in the world for his op and your labour. Hope it all goes well for you xxx