+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Birthing Partners?

Hi All,
    My hubby and I are expecting our first (yay) in march and he works away in the mines, so we are unsure if he will make it home in time for the birth. I am very close with my Mum and have asked her to be a birthing partner. My hubby is fine with this choice and agrees its the best thing to do considering he may not be able to get home quickly.
    I just wanted to hear your opinions about having two birthing partners, from mothers who are expecting their first or those that have had children and had more then one birthing partner
    Thanks !

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have three kids...
    First two times it was just hubby, myself and the midwife.
    Third time round we hired a Doula and had her there as well. Most amazing support team E.V.E.R.

My mum is not welcome in the labour room with me (she is a huge worrier and would be stressing out!) but if I was having anymore children I'd be hiring a doula again without a doubt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for responding. If my Mum was like that, I wouldnt have her as a birthing partner. She is the opposite, she can always calm me and so so supportive. I'am lucky to have her. Gives me confidence that she will be great to have as the 2nd birthing partner.

Thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have 2 kids.
    With my first i had my mother and my older sister there. They were both great.My mum has had 5 kids, so was very supportive and my sister is a NICU nurse. My sister was a bit of a stress head but i just ignored her because it was the 1st normal birth she had been to - usually she is at the birth of premmies or babies that need to be taken straight to special care/ NICU.

With my second i had my partner and my sister there again. Although my sister only turned up in the last 20min of it as it was a quick birth haha.
    I would of had my mother there but someone had to baby sit my 1st child. My sister insisted on going because the hospital didnt have a very good reputation at her work.

I read an article once that said fathers sometimes are the worst people to have at the birth and its better to have your mother or someone who has given birth before, with you instead. Because they know what your going through and what is happening.
    Obviously its not true for all families, but i do agree with the fact that if you have a supportive mother - she would be great to have there because she has been through it before.

Good luck
    Last edited by Bank; 03-10-2012 at 14:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my hubby for both births... he spent half the time sleeping on the recliner! LOL. It didn't bother me really, i was dilating verrryyy slowly. so had alot of time on my hands so i just read my book.

Rutabaga is offline Getting it together, one day at a time.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subscribing. Dp works in mining too, and even though he promises he'd drive to Alice then, fly I'm not convinced it could be done in time. Thinking of asking a friend to be my "extra".

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    My mother was my support for the birth (elec. c/s) of my boys, as DP is terrible around hospitals.

He was sick even thinking of me being cut open.. and my Mum said she was honoured that I asked her, so I'm very glad that she got to experience that. She even got to cut their cords, which is very special. (Of course I'm sad that it wasn't DP though.)

Having seen all the photos of the birth not long afterwards, he said he probably could have stomached it, and he wishes he had of been there. I think if I were to go back and have another, I would still ask my Mum again, even if DP could do it.. I'm sure he would be useless to me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my sister and DH. I was glad to have both as the both supported me in the ways I needed but in different ways...IYKWIM? Luck my sister was there, when it came time to cut the cord for dd he nearly fainted and my sister had to do it.

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I am looking for advice on this too..

I always thought it would be DH & mum, however I have realised neither mum or MIL is in shape to be in there and I know DH may not cope there.. I was thinking of asking the God Mother to come in also. I know it would depend on her getting time off work & when I happened to go into labour, but I know her work might be OK wit it cause I am an ex employee of the place too.

Also DH isn't sure about going to Classes with me where as I am sure she will try and make time for it.. I have to ask her tonight when I go around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had DH and my mum there for the birth of DD and I loved having the both of them. I wanted mum because I knew DH wouldn't be forceful enough with the medical staff to make sure my wishes/needs were carried out properly (not a problem, it's just his personality). And mum was great, didn't force herself into the situation, only stayed for a tiny bit after the birth so DH, DD and I could have some family time and always says how special it was. I'd love her there for the next one but she'll have to be minding DD instead.