+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Night feeds for 7/8m olds

Does anyone else's 7/8m old wake for 2 feeds a night? My ds wakes 10/11pm then 3/4am. I try to resettle but it doesn't work. I feed him 3-4 bottles during the day and 3 solid meals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD is now 2.5years old, but at that age she was havimg two feeds overnight at 11pm and 3am. We cut the 11pm feed out when she was about 10mths by getting DH to get up to her and resettle without a feed. We did BLW and she didnt eat a huge amount during the day so i think that contributed to the night feeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks. When did she drop 3am feed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    My DS was waking 2-3 times a night at that age. He is now 10.5 months and after two weeks of work, it looks like we have dropped the 3am feed. We were strict and decided that he would not be feed between 10 and 6. He has a feed at 7 and is in bed at 7.30, then he has a dream feed at 10.

To drop the 3am feed, we would give him 5-10 minutes to see if he would self settle, then we'd go in and try to settle him in the cot. I would lie down next to the cot and pat and shhh. If he got really upset, DH would come in and cuddle him. It took 90 minutes on the first night, another 90 minutes on the second night, and the third night he woke three times but settled with my help in less than 10 minutes each time. He slept through the fourth night but woke again for the next few nights before sleeping 10.30-6 for the last five nights .

We had tried this a few times since he was 6-7 months old without luck. He just wasn't ready to drop that feed and we decided that it was better for everyone if we continued to feed him.

I'm happy to continue with the 10pm dreamfeed, maybe at the end of this year I'll see if he is ready to drop it, but it's not a hassle for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. So it seems night feeds until 10 or so months is common. Maybe ill feed him until 10m then see if he drops himself or if I need to do what you suggested.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In our case DD continued to have a night feed until 16mths when she self-weaned. The 3am feed slowly got later and later until it was at about 5am, then when she weaned she stopped waking for it (though "sleeping through" didnt last unfortunately!). I didnt mind getting up for a quick 20min feed as it was only once per night. If we had wanted to drop that feed earlier i would have followed the same method as we used for the 11pm one. I found that if i went in DD would get upset at not being fed, but if DH resettled her for a week or so she got used to it and stopped expecting a feed. I think feeding at night is pretty common in 7mth olds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd1 had 3-4 feeds overnight 6-8mths. Then she went to mostly 2 feeds till 14mths when i nightweaned.

We did blw so she wasnt a huge eater till 12/13mths.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks it's comforting to know others were or are in the same boat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD1 was having two night feeds until she was 12 months, DD2 had night feeds until she was 16 months, DS had night feeds until he was around 14 months I think...however dropping night feeds did not = sleeping through. They were all 2 years old before they slept through the night on a regular basis, DS started sleeping through the night earlier than my DD's (around when he night weaned) but he is nearly 3 and still wakes up probably 3-4 nights our of 7....generally these days it is just to come and climb in to our bed but he still wakes me to climb in the bed and sometimes wants a drink etc. The girls basically stayed in their beds the whole night from the age of two.