+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    My DS2 was a massive chucker - I had a huge supply and forceful letdown and he was 8.5 weeks prem and tiny, so we had a few issues!

I would express a bit before each feed, I block fed him, fed him in an upright position and I used a thickener at some feeds (I don't think this is in vogue any more, but an old friend who's an LC recommended it and it helped).

I did all of the above for about three months and then he just seemed to grow out of it.

He's turning one at the end of the month and is still a boob monster.

Definitely turn to the ABA for support - I'm sure that things will resolve themselves

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you for all your replies xx

Well we just got home from casualty and the ultrasound showed that the esophagus is all fine, thank goodness. I have no idea how I would have coped if she had to go for surgery.

The paed suggested that every second feed or so to express and give it to her in a bottle so that we have a better understanding of how much she is getting, and also not to feed her on demand like I have been, rather to wait and only feed every 3 hours, as perhaps bub is overfull.

My concerns with these two suggestions is nipple confusion (which she told me isn't really proven?) and also that limiting feeds may mean my milk supply diminishing...

Any thoughts? I'm going to ring aba tomorrow and also speak to my middy but know you fantastic ladies are well researched.thanks so much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry you're having a hard time hun

I don't know much about the rest but I had to express from my left side (had a massive infected fissure which made feeding excrutiating) from when DD was 2.5weeks. I was so worried that it would cause problems especially nipple confusion but she took to it like a champ. Was a bit confused by the first bottle but that was it. So she was getting half her feeds via bottle for 1.5wks and then I started back on the left breast too. No problems whatsoever and now (8wks) she has a bottle once a day/every second day (she only takes one side for her first night feed now so I pump the other side so we have some backed up in the freezer) from DP so I can have a decent chunk of sleep.

I think calling the ABA is a good move now...I don't know about stopping demand feeding. Also from what I've heard/read expressing isn't a good indicator of how much bubs drinks as they're much more effective at extracting milk than a pump?

Good luck hun I hope things get better

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

Sarelou  (07-10-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarelou View Post
    Thank you for all your replies xx

Well we just got home from casualty and the ultrasound showed that the esophagus is all fine, thank goodness. I have no idea how I would have coped if she had to go for surgery.

The paed suggested that every second feed or so to express and give it to her in a bottle so that we have a better understanding of how much she is getting, and also not to feed her on demand like I have been, rather to wait and only feed every 3 hours, as perhaps bub is overfull.

My concerns with these two suggestions is nipple confusion (which she told me isn't really proven?) and also that limiting feeds may mean my milk supply diminishing...

Any thoughts? I'm going to ring aba tomorrow and also speak to my middy but know you fantastic ladies are well researched.thanks so much
    Did you read the link I posted above? It basically said to not do any of the above lol. Def ring the ABA

Are you sure you don't have an over supply? The weight gain, was that done on the same set of scales? How is bubs sleep/awake time, is she happy/settled?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (07-10-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I should probably add in my experience with DS1, I had an oversupply and he would scream at every feed, he never slept though his weight gains were quite good. I started expressing and offering a bottle and it was a freaking nightmare so I would do anything to avoid it. ETA his sleep didn't improve even once we sorted out my boobs, he was just a terrible sleeper lol

With DS2 I had an oversupply again and I blockfed him so only offered one breast for 3 hours than the other breast for 3 hours, still fed on demand I just kept offering that same breast then switched. It worked really well and my supply settled within a 2 days. I really think it is worth you trying. It will help you work out if bub is just getting overfull.

The low weight gain might be because bub isn't draining one breast enough before you switch so she isn't getting the full change of milk, coupled with the over fulling- puking (I called it the overflow valve lol) it might be why she is low in weight gain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 2 cents with how I have raised 3 babies.
    A gain is a gain, my babies have above average birth weights but are extremely slow weight gainers. It's genetics for us. DS was 4.3 kg born but at nearly 2 he only weighs 8 ish kg.
    I definitely don't go by a one size fits all for babies. I had a chucker with my first, she loved boob so much she couldn't get enough but her tummy was only tiny so it came back up. Freaked me out for a while but you kind of got used to the constant change of clothes.
    What is your gut feeling? Is your DD otherwise happy? Is she screaming when she chucks?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeamummy For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (07-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok I've read the link, called aba, and called my middy.

She is very content and settled, sleep and wake periods seem to be good for her age.. The scales were the same ones.

I've decided to do the following- hand express before each feed till my letdown eases off. Lay on my back with her on top for feeds - well semi reclined - as being on my back is too hard for her just yet, she gets too tired and frustrated holding her head up.. Also I'm going to keep a log of nappies, feeds and vomits for a week and see how her next weigh in goes.

To be honest, my instincts tell me that its probably just an over supply and excess wind, behind the milk bringing it back up. I don't feel worried its just the weight gain. But as my GP said, if she gained lots every weigh in then she would be massive in no time..

See how we go. Wish us luck! When does my milk supply settle down to her needs? Is it around 6 weeks?

Thanks
    Reviews
    She doesn't cry when she chucks. Just lets it out and that's it. It's like she doesn't even know its coming.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarelou View Post
    Ok I've read the link, called aba, and called my middy.

She is very content and settled, sleep and wake periods seem to be good for her age.. The scales were the same ones.

I've decided to do the following- hand express before each feed till my letdown eases off. Lay on my back with her on top for feeds - well semi reclined - as being on my back is too hard for her just yet, she gets too tired and frustrated holding her head up.. Also I'm going to keep a log of nappies, feeds and vomits for a week and see how her next weigh in goes.

To be honest, my instincts tell me that its probably just an over supply and excess wind, behind the milk bringing it back up. I don't feel worried its just the weight gain. But as my GP said, if she gained lots every weigh in then she would be massive in no time..

See how we go. Wish us luck! When does my milk supply settle down to her needs? Is it around 6 weeks?
    Around 6 weeks yep but if you have an oversupply I strongly suggest block feeding (again, sorry I know I have already mentioned it )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yes I forgot to say I'm starting to do that too. (Block feeding)
    Fingers crossed we see improvements with these changes. Thanks for all the help so far I really appreciate it

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sarelou For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (07-10-2012)