+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Breastfed newborn vomiting

My DD is 12 days old and I'm breastfeeding. Every night for 6 days now she has been vomiting once, 3 of these have been massive projectile vomits. Her weight gain is good, and she has plenty of wet/dirty nappies. Midwife isn't too worried but I am! My milk is plentiful and quite forceful in flow.. She often chokes I also try and burp her 3-4 times per feed to try and get out wind...

Is this normal? Is it just her little belly adjusting? Any experiences to ease my worry appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter did this. I was petrified the first few times she did it but it stopped after a couple weeks. It seemed to just be my milk needing to settle down and her getting used to feeding. They go from having to suck and suck to get the colostrum, then the milk comes in and they almost drown in it, lol. If she's not in pain when she vomits and the midwife isn't too worried, give it a couple of weeks and if it doesn't stop or she is in pain talk to your midwife again.
    Congrats on your little girl!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RM05MB For This Useful Post:

Sarelou  (02-10-2012)

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my kids did this for a good 6 months each. Good weight gains, not in pain. No problems just chucky babies

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (07-10-2012),Sarelou  (02-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Yep normal.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Sarelou  (02-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Laying back or feeding laying down should slow your milk flow down which may help. The vomiting sounds normal. DS was a happy chucker :-) You get used to it, but I don't think my sofa will ever fully recover.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ilovehats For This Useful Post:

Sarelou  (02-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I had the exact same issue with my dd from birth till about 10 weeks - now she just vomits randomly - I think my letdown was a lot & fast and she and me had to get into a good feeding pattern before the milk settled down & then the vomiting did - also there was green poop she had at 8 weeks old that was due to her not digesting or something about my milk that's nothing to worry about also , try not to stress too much & your milk will settle down & you will see improvement . Speak with your paediatrician to ease your worry

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have the same problem, and DS is now 5.5 months old. When he was really little, the ECHC nurse suggested I put him on my lap, straddling my thigh, and have him feed in an upright position. It made a big difference.

Except for when he's having a growth spurt, my DS still throws up quite a lot. I say, "It ain't filled, til its spilled"!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PeJu's Mum For This Useful Post:

Sarelou  (06-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Midwife visit today and DD has only put on 40grams in 5 days, so she has sent me to see the hospital paed to get an ultrasound to make sure her easophagous (sp) valve/sphincter isn't too narrow. The vomiting has increased since I last posted, it's most feeds. Just saw triage nurse and the doctor in there straight away said "well you will have to supplement feed"

What the hell, how will formula fix her vomiting?! My gp today also said to express and give it to her in a bottle. Which I'd be more likely to do but still would be devastated as she is only 13 days old.. I have always wanted to breastfeed and cannot understand how medical professionals are so quick to jump the gun and risk it not working out. I'll do whatever it takes to help her but surely it should be a last resort!?

Sorry just a vent, stressful day, and not what I want to hear

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Both my sons have been chuckers. DS1 was cows milk protein intolerant and it first showed signs at about 10 days old. If I ate dairy or had milk, he would projectile vomit the next feed. He was throwing up every second feed for about 4 weeks until we figured out what it was. I stopped eating dairy, he stopped puking. He was still putting on weight and was otherwise happy so I was always told to just put up with it. The constant puking was awful though and did nothing to help my PND.

DS2 is 13 weeks and started showing the same signs. I have found though that he is not intolerant to cows milk protein, the issue this time is my oversupply. He doesn't throw up nearly half as often as DS1 but when he does, it's a massive puke. It's totally related to my oversupply and I need to just be mindful of that when feeding him.

GBH. I found puking really hard to deal with.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Some tips here for breastfeeding a reflux/spitting up baby

http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/reflux/