+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Default Help! What does "semi formal" mean?

We're going to a wedding in a couple of weeks and I've just noticed on the invitation it's "semi formal". What does that mean? I just googled and they're talking about cocktail dresses! I don't own a dress, I don't even own a skirt. The dressiest thing I have is some black trousers. I was going to wear those with a dressy top (well, it's a 4 year old work top but it's the best I've got) and a necklace. Would that do? I don't get out much (this will be out first time out this year and second time out since DD was born 22 months ago).

I can't afford to buy anything new.

HELP!!!!!!

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm going to a semi formal wedding next month and I've got a cocktail dress and heels to wear.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think black pants and a dressy top are absolutely fine for semi-formal. You don't have to wear a dress just because you're a woman

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

angelini  (03-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Pants and a dressy top is lovely - I wore that last weekend to a semi formal wedding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Black pants are more of a smart casual thing.
    It's really hard to look semi-formal in anything other than a dress unless you are over 45 and go for a beautiful pant suit or skirt suit.

If the black pants are a quality style and fit, you can dress them up with heels, dressy top, jewellery.

If you want to buy something new, go to somewhere like Jacqui E, the sales assistant will help you out

Thanks
    Reviews
    In saying that, no one knows what dress codes mean anymore, so it's likely that most guests won't be dressed semi-formal either.
    I'm sure whatever you choose to wear will be fine

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanaynay View Post
    In saying that, no one knows what dress codes mean anymore, so it's likely that most guests won't be dressed semi-formal either.
    I'm sure whatever you choose to wear will be fine
    I agree ... I know the bride of the wedding I'm attending put semi formal on the invite because she didn't want anyone turning up in jeans/t-shirts and hoped by putting semi formal those who are more casual might lean towards smart casual.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can I suggest you ring the bride and groom and ask? That way you won't feel uncomfortable wearing what you are (which I think sounds good) and you won't go out and buy a cocktail dress when you could have just worn the black pants and dressy top.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did semi formal to my wedding I didn't want people to rock up in thirt and trainers (which happened anyway) but didn't expect people to get all super dolled up and have to go shopping for a gown, and honestly I can't remember what people wore.... Top and nice pants sound great

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'd say black pants, nice top - dressed up with jewellery and heels classifies as semi-formal. I agree being a woman doesnt oblige you to wear a skirt/dress.

If money is tight try op shops? Can find some good things there without breaking the bank.