+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anyone not have the Strep B test?

In my first pregnancy I tested positive for Strep B. My waters broke at 39.1 & contractions started about 2 hours later. I had to go in and get antibiotics through a canular every four hours from 2.30pm. Long story short, my contractions stopped the next morning & I had to have syntocin to bring on labour which resulted in having an epidural.

This time round I am seriously considering not having the test done as this was a factor in my labour going backwards. I would love to have a natural birth & my midwife has suggested that if i dont get the test done that we monitor the baby's temperature for a couple of days after the birth and if it rises to administer antibiotics.

Has anyone chosen not to have the test done and is there a high risk of the baby getting sick? Any feedback would be really useful. Cheers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wish I didnt have the test done. I would have been able to labour at home rather then be stuck in a hospital as I firmly believe if I could have been at home I would have been able to have my VBAC2 (ended up in a c/s).

You dont have to have the test. My middies at the hospy were surprised that I had had one as they said that they dont do it anymore.

The thing is with strepb is that it comes and goes. I didnt have it with DS1 or DS2 but had it with DD.

If it were me I wouldnt do it.....I wish I had of been more informed and I would have refused. That was the one thing that I hadnt researched.

But if your middie is ok with you not having it then I wouldnt.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The only regret I have with my first birth is the fact that I was pressured to do certain things because of the dreaded strep b (cannula, antibiotics overnight hospy stay when I wanted to go home). I didn't have the test with my second and I won't be having it with any future babies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The midwife told me just last week that they don't do it as standard anymore (in QLD or NSW). I've never had the test even offered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I declined the test.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had my first at RPA hospital and they dont do the test as a routine check. DS was perfectly fine. I am 39 werks pregnant at a different hospital and had to do it. I dont think its that big of a deal if RPA doesnt do it. In my opinion anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't have it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im the same as you OP tested positive with my first & had to go to hospy asap ended up with syntocin, epidural & forceps delivery
    Really going to try & refuse it this time, will see how i go when the time comes

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't have it, it was never even mentioned. I don't think I had even heard of it until I read about it on here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think I'll have it. I am sure having antibiotics in labour last time was a contributing factor to DS' eczema and allergy issues. Gut health is so important.