+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Grandparents - can we choose what DS calls them?

DD has Nanna, Nanny, Nanna *initial*, Nanna *initial*, Granddad, Granddad *initial*, Grandpa, Grandpop.

All names that her grandparents chose and we were happy with that. You run out of options with so many.

She calls her great grandparents what we do except with great in front. Or in one case where she says big nan and big granddad.
    Last edited by LifeInShadesOfGrey; 17-12-2012 at 08:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DF's parents already have heaps of grandkids so our bub will call them what they are already called - Nan and Pop.
    My dad wants to be Pop also, he's been set on this for years and I don't want to tell him no so bub will have 2 pops, I don't know if that will be too confusing but I think dad should be allowed to be called whatever he wants.
    Mum can't decide on what she wants to be called yet. Apparently, every variation of nanna, nanny, grandma etc is "too old"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Grandparents - can we choose what DS calls them?

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie's Mum View Post
    Your step mother in law should be calling herself 'farmor' instead of 'mormor' if she is your husbands step mother. She would only be mormor to a daughters child. Nice to see some Scandinavian in this thread though!
    I wasnt sure what we should have called her, but thats the name she wants, as she wants all their future grandkids to call her that. I think she just likes it better, none of the other kids are close to baby production

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews

I think that unless you have really strong feelings about a grandparent not using a certain title, you just have to go with it out of respect.

My DS's paternal grandparents were rather negative about the whole thing, 'it can call me shane' (DS has seen him twice couple years ago), and 'oh god can't I just be Karen??' Now she calls herself mama Karen which I don't really like but whatever, hardly sees her either. Strangely enough I was more concerned about how DS's step grandfather felt about his title and called him Poppy Pete so that he didn't feel left out.

My own parents chose Poppy and Granny and although that means I can't call a future daughter poppy, I'm fine with those titles

Thanks
    Reviews

My DP is dead against his aunt being referred to in any sort of grandma/nanna kind of way. He's not crazy about his aunt and doesn't love the fact his dad married her after his mother passed, and sees it as disrespectful to her memory to label his aunt as grandma etc, just because she's married to his dad - legitimate grandad.

I guess we'll just refer to her as Aunty V for our DD, and Aunty V will have to accept that. DD is going to have an interesting time explaining how her family works - we get weird looks when we say that DP's stepmother is also his aunt, and his cousin is his stepsister!

Thanks
    Reviews

My DH parents will be opa and oma (Dutch and what my nephew calls them already). My parents want to be called ma and pa (I don't like this as I think it is too much like saying mum and dad, but my parents don't see it that way and refuse to budge.) I wouldn't mind if they wanted grandma and grandpa but no, so I am just not sure what to do.

Thanks
    Reviews

Could you drop the 'aunty' part and come up with something 'cutesy' with her first name? Then it won't be too difficult to explain the family tree.

DHs parents already had grand kids so they were Nanna and Poppadoc.

My mum knew she wanted to be Grandma (and told me well in advance of me getting pregnant!). Step dad wanted to be *first name* but we (mum and I) lumped him with Pa. and I think he secretly loves when my son chasing him around shouting 'pa! Pa!'

Dad wanted 'grandfather *surname*' but I veto'd that in favour of Pop (which is what I called his dad). His partner is Nanna *first name* (which is what she is to her grand kids.

My nan his Nanny.