+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We asked them when I was pregnant and let them choose.

We have Nana and Grandad, Nin and Gramps, Nanny and Poppy...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd like to let them decide what they would like to be called. My parents are already grandparents and they get called Grandy and Nanna. My inlaws get called Nanna and Grandad and my Nanna-in-law gets called GG. These will probably stick when we eventually have ours!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My parents asked me what DS was going to call them. Luckily I chose Ouma and Oupa which is what they probably wanted/we are all familiar with.

I don't think it's totally crazy to choose names for your parents...after all, they chose your name! That being said though, if they wanted Pop and Nanny instead or whatever, I would have said sure!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your advice, it's something that I wasn't sure about and hadn't put much thought into until now.

my parents are visiting very soon so i will see if the names they chose after the birth are still the ones they use. Generally my mother changes her mind every 5 minutes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I ask why you want to choose and why you don't want them to? Is it that big of a deal?

We let our parents choose. I don't like one of the names but my parents are Granny (as that's what she called her grandparents) and Popou (Grandfather in Greek). Then DHs parents are Nanna and Granda! Hmmm a bit strange in the Granda, I personally think it sounds stupid an he looks more like a Pop, but that's what he wants so who am I to tell him he can't be called that. I think it would be very rude of me if I did.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CuddlesAwait For This Useful Post:

Bluest Blue Box  (03-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiyed View Post
    We have a 3 year old furkid so we got used to calling them grandpa and grandma, when referring to our pet.

i guess i had just assumed they would carry the same names over when DS was born.
    Haha, we had the same! We referred to our parents as Grandma etc to the dogs! My mum kept Grandma as she was used to that, however DD calls her Dodo! She made it up herself but seeing as that's ridiculous I still refer to my mum as Grandma, DD refers to her as Dodo. DH's dad was Pop-Pop to the dogs but he became Grandad when DD was born.

I think it's up to them to decide what they want to be called though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I'm sorry but I think in this case you should let them go with what they've chosen. It's not like the titles they want are completely crazy or inappropriate. As someone else in this thread said, I think it's best to pick your battles.

The only time I think it's appropriate to veto Grandparent titles is when they're trying to make it sound they they are the parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It should be something both sides are happy with. We let our parents decide what they wanted to be called but we had the final say on it (well until DD is able to talk properly haha).
    MIL wanted "Mimmi" but we didn't like it, explained that to MIL & asked her to choose another option so we now have a Grandma *name* and Pa; then another Grandma *name* and Papa. Everyone is happy with their titles.
    Last edited by Izzys Dragon; 02-10-2012 at 22:02.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    A lot of the joy of being perspective grandparents for my mum and dad was choosing their names.
    The I. Laws already had nanny and poppy because dp has older sisters. And my grandmother is nana so that was taken.
    In the end mum decided she wanted to be nan nan. It was such a hassle to say that it got shortened to nan very quickly! And my dad is pa short for grumpa because he is grumpy ha!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Grandparents - can we choose what DS calls them?

We have a bit of a dilemma with this. My mother is already "Gran" to my nephew, so that's what she'll be again. My stepdad will be "Pop" because I always felt my deceased father should have "Grandad" or "Grandpa", even though he's been gone 17 years.

Now, my partners dad will be Grandad or Grandpa, however his wife is actually my partners deceased mother's sister (after his mother died, his dad and aunt found solace in each other and eventually married). This would make her our DD's great aunt but we have no idea what she should be called.

It wouldn't surprise me if she pushed for Grandma or something similar to be in line with the Grandad/pa but my partner is completely against that, for the same reasons I have about my stepdad not being grandad/pa - it's out of respect for our late parents and that we wish they were here to be the grandparents to our daughter.

So, any suggestions as to what to call Great Aunty V so that it's not a mouthful to say when DD can talk? Thanks! 😃