+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DH's parents were given their 'names' by DH, he called his grandmother and grandfather Grandma and Grandpa so it was just automatic for him I think.

My mum wanted to be called 'Mamie' as it was her great-grandmother's name. I nixxed that. Mamie is a brand of noodles. I just couldn't come at that lol. My dad is Pa although that was just something automatic again. I didn't even really consider it if I'm honest, Pa just seemed to suit him best lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think it's much nicer and less control-freak if you just let them choose.

Also, some women don't feel old enough to be called "Grandma." If they don't want that, why smack that title on them?

Your kid will also cope fine with having similar names for them. I had a Grandad and Nanny and then Nanna and Poppy. I knew who was Nanna and who was Nanny, and when I got older and called them both "Nan," it worked out just fine too. If I needed to clarify, by then I was old enough to say, "You know, Dad's mum," or whatever.

I think there is usually no reason to go telling your parents what they have to be called. I even let my Dad keep his choice of Grandpapa which sounds like an old Southern gentleman... when my Dad's in his early 50s and named Bruce. lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    SIL's oldest sorted the matter out at the age of 3 and the names still stick 10 years later. Big Gran & Little Gran (based on height) and Grandpa & Grandpa Brum - FIL is in a wheel chair and has 'wheels like Brum!'

I'll also never forget hearing that a friends father had insisted on the grand kids calling him 'Big Poppa G!

My father wanted to be Poppy first name. I said no, he said okay and then 'forgot' so DS ended up calling him that anyway. It was a pick my battles moment and really, it makes no difference to anything in the long run.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think its sweet to let the grandparents decide on a name..
    But saying that if my mum wanted to be called nan i wouldn't want it but i would say if that's really what u want to be called then fine but i would say i really prefer grandma because of ... yadda yadda

Explain to them why u want the names u do and see what they say. if they are set on the names they want i woulfnt hurt their feelings over it.. U will get used to it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with the others, let them choose. They're not asking for anything weird or inappropriate. I know my parents were really keen and excited to be Nanna and Grandpa and we didn't want to take that away from them. DHs parents are Grandma and Grandad but MIL took aaaaages to decide!

I think DD will ultimately make the decision though. She might end up coming up with something totally different that sticks!

I do make an effort to say Grandma and Granddad when referring to my ILs, it's hard not to automatically say Nanna and Grandpa because that's what I'm used to from my grandparents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gosh my Mum would have had a pink fit if I had suggested anything but what she wanted. It's her "title" why would I be choosing it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our DD is the 4th grandchild for DH's mum, she's already called nanna so that was easy. However DD is #1 for my family.

My Dad didn't have a preference so we just call him grandpa.

My mum however... I explained that MIL was nanna already and would prefer her to pick something else. Nope, she then insisted she was to be called nanna! Sigh. We dont see or hear from her much tho so I still refer to her as grandma.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i did rule a few out to mil...because we already have nanna, nanny, nanna w, nanna j and grandma lol i sent her a list of options and explained that the nanna option taken already. if there was not an overload if existing ones i ould not have though as long as it wasn't mamma or something.

She went with nonna and it works well.

Why do you need it to be your way?

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Mostly the grandparents choice within limits. HOWEVER.. my MIL was going to go with Yaya (greek family) til she found out FIL & SMIL were Nanny and poppy.. then she HAD to be Nanny. Thankfully we don't associate with FIl & SMIL much so we aren't very worried.

However I am happy that my kids will have Dad's parents being Nanny & poppy and Mum's being Grandma & grandad. Though grandad will only be in photos as my father has passed. But as a bonus.. bubs will have a Great Grandma.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree. Let the prospective grandparents decide. DHs parents are nanna and poppy. My mother chose babushka (we are not russian) and my dad - grandee. My 2yo gets all but babushka right - that has become Babbie.